Overheating at idle.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Overheating at idle..

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
KevinM90
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Overheating at idle..

Motor is a 5.2 v8
So about a month back my water pump went, pissing anti freeze all over the place. I replaced that and it worked fine for about 3 weeks. Then It started running very hot again, so first I tried the thermostat. That didn't do too much. Then this past week I was pulling in to work and it was running about 220 degees, so i parked as soon as possible, and at that point anti freeze was blowing out everywhere again. I replaced the radiator, and its been alright since, but it seems like if I drive for a while, then stop to go do something with the truck idling, the temps start to get high. If i am running and moving, it is fine.
I tried searching but the most I could come up with was to replace a fan relay, and I dont have an electric fan, just the belt fan. The only thing left I could think of was a fan clutch? Is there anything else I should be looking for here? I know a bad head gasket will lead to overheating, but It runs cool and fine when moving, so I think I ruled that out, but not sure. Sorry if Im vague, its late at night and Ive had a long day dealing with it.

Unread 08-01-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
Subie-Jeep
2014 MK Patriot 

if its the head gasket your oil/coolant will look "milky".my bet would be fan clutch
2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS w/ too much to list here
1994 Toyota 4Runner-I couldn't destroy it but the rust was making good progress-Traded in.
Subie-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

fan clutch has failed.

run the motor up to temp then shut it off and watch how much longer the fan spins after the motor stops. if it spins more than three times the clutch is shot. ideally it shouldn't spin any more after the motor stops when it's up to temp.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.