Overheating at idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Overheating at idle

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
Jeep@02
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Overheating at idle

Hi guys, I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee 4.0. While idling the jeep will overheat. As soon as I go down the road the temp. drops to what it should be. While idling the thermostat will open and the antifreeze circulates fine. I have also noticed the fan comes on and turns but doesnít seem to turn as fast as it should. There doesnít seem to be much are moving. It's hard to tell though. Any ideas? It sounds like a fan clutch. But I believe this has an electric fan.

Jeep@02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep@02 View Post
Hi guys, I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee 4.0. While idling the jeep will overheat. As soon as I go down the road the temp. drops to what it should be. While idling the thermostat will open and the antifreeze circulates fine. I have also noticed the fan comes on and turns but doesnít seem to turn as fast as it should. There doesnít seem to be much are moving. It's hard to tell though. Any ideas? It sounds like a fan clutch. But I believe this has an electric fan.
I had the same problem and it was a bad fan motor. It would spin but barely enough to move any air and the car would overheat at standstill. Replaced the fan motor and it cranked much harder - no more overeheating. My 2000 has an electric fan but I believe your 2002 has a fan clutch. I suspect the fan clutch could be bad. they're not that expensive on am-autoparts.com

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
jtsjeep99
1999 WJ 

MY 99 has an auxiliary electric fan and my fan relay went out a couple of years ago. I first tested the fan by jumping the wires in the plug to the battery and found the fan to be good and the fan wasn't running when hot so the relay was the problem. The replacement took 15 min and the relay is under the passenger headlight. Do a search on the fan relay replacement on the site and you should find the write-up.
jtsjeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

do you have a tow package?

tow packages have both E-fan and Fan clutch

i suspect Fanclutch it isnt workin right it's basically it's spinning at a slower sping than the motor.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 04:28 AM   #5
Jeep@02
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No I don't have the tow package and I actually replaced the fan relay a while ago. Advance auto parts told me I have a fan clutch in my 2002. I guess I donít understand how you could have both electric and a clutch? The clutch was about 50 bucks. Hopefully it is something cheap and easy.
Jeep@02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
No I don't have the tow package and I actually replaced the fan relay a while ago. Advance auto parts told me I have a fan clutch in my 2002. I guess I donít understand how you could have both electric and a clutch? The clutch was about 50 bucks. Hopefully it is something cheap and easy.
tow packages had both the E fan sits behind the radiator in front of the fan shroud. then the Fan clutch is attached to the Water pump
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
4jeepers
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Had the same problem 2 weeks ago! Turned out to be the cooling fan relay! To check, disconnect the plug to the fan and take jumper wires and jump fom the batt + terminal to the fan side plug (female) and the other to a good ground. Jump the two pin contacts in the plug the purple stripe wire should be the positive and the green the negative. you may have to reverse the positive to the pins (try both ways) If the fan runs strong then it is the relay and you have no way to check it. The relay is cheap around 35.00. The bad thing is that it is a Bi#^h to get to. It is under the headlight between the Plastic tray and metal frame panel. I just cut the plastic tray rather then removing the bumper cover and who knows what else! Good Luck!
4jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
terryj
2011 KK Liberty 

If you have the fan connected to the water pump then you'll have a clutch fan, if you have no fan connected to the water pump then it an electric fan mounted in the radiator shroud. If you have A/C the cooling fan relay is also used to operate the A/C clutch, if your A/C clutch engages and then disengages, after a few seconds, then its your relay that is causing the problems.
terryj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

Electric fans were gone after 2000

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.