overheating 4.7 wj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > overheating 4.7 wj

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
chainfeed

overheating 4.7 wj

ok my girlfriends 4.7 keeps on overheating. Replaced the thermostat, though it was fixed but started doing it again. Then I found a massive air lock in the upper coolant hose, so I bled it.... Good for a few weeks then the air lock came back.... Bled it, replaced radiator cap, sealed the bleeder screw up good, good for a month or so and now it just did it again. Anyone have any idea where the air lock is coming from or where the coolant could be going??? Help!

chainfeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Turbonut

What year 4.7?
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 05:17 AM   #3
chainfeed

It's a 2001
Unread 12-24-2008, 06:20 AM   #4
Turbonut

If bleeding was done properly shouldn't develop air as closed system. Usually, I remove the bleeder plug, fill with antifreeze through radiator, then actually top off through the plug hole, then replace the plug.
Hydraulic fan working properly?

I would try a pressure tested when the engine is cold to see how the coolant is escaping.
Unread 12-24-2008, 06:50 AM   #5
chainfeed

Thats how i bleed it also... I used sealer on threads too but it continues to be an issue. Are there any common coolant issues with the 4.7? I really hope its not a head gasket or something serious, the oil looks clean but in the top of the oil filler neck there is some white/yellow cheese creamy ****.....
Unread 12-24-2008, 07:22 AM   #6
Turbonut

None that I know of, but I'd certainly do a pressure check on the cooling system. Could be a slight leak that is not seen under the Jeep, or evaporates quickly. On our '01 the rad core rotted out in the lower front. The air dam attached to the rad is a great idea to deflect incoming air through the rad, but as it extends up maybe 1/2" debris accumulated and contued to remain damp and the core was a goner.

That hydraulic fan is pretty neat, not that it will stop overheating if low on coolant, but it will certainly provide enough air movement to keep the temps down in the hottest conditions.
Unread 12-24-2008, 07:28 AM   #7
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

You may have a head gasket that is leaking allowing pressure into the cooling system.

Compression test may be a good idea.
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
chainfeed

ttt top help
Unread 01-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
txtumbleweed
2000 WJ 

If the hydraulic/mechanical fans are working correctly and you still experience overheating after replacing the thermostat, my bet is the radiator has gone bad (especially if it is still the original). I replaced most of my cooling system components over a 2 year period chasing overheating. Problem got worst over time. Finally replaced the radiator and all was well.

Don't worry about the gunk in the base of the oil fill gap - normal stuff. See TSB. http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_090100a.pdf

I have found the easiest way to bleed the system is fill it up until fluid runs out the bleed plug. Close the plug, put the pressure cap back on, warm it up a bit (maybe 150 or so, but not full operating temps), shut the engine down, and then very slowly lossen the bleed plug just enough for any remaining pressurized air or fluid to come out. Then reseat the bleed plug, cool engine down, top off anything needed in the radiator and overflow tank. Then drive around to get engine to normal operating temps. Do this for a couple of days and it should naturally remove any residual air through the overflow tank after a few cycles. Check overflow after a few cycles and top off as necessary.

I am curious -- how did you find a massive air lock in the upper coolant hose?

Last edited by txtumbleweed; 01-06-2009 at 08:34 PM..
txtumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
chainfeed

pretty easy.... pop the bleeder plug and there is no coolant in the hose. The thing is def loosing coolant somewhere, it slowly gets low and then starts heating up. Really annoying.
Unread 01-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #11
txtumbleweed
2000 WJ 

Odd. What is happening to your overflow tank fluid level? Decreasing, remains the same, or increasing over time?
Unread 01-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #12
Turbonut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainfeed View Post
pretty easy.... pop the bleeder plug and there is no coolant in the hose. The thing is def loosing coolant somewhere, it slowly gets low and then starts heating up. Really annoying.
Did you put a pressure tester on the system yet? If not your grasping for straws.
Unread 01-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #13
chainfeed

overflow tank level stays the same all the time......... havent done the pressure test yet.
Unread 01-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #14
Turbonut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainfeed View Post
overflow tank level stays the same all the time......... havent done the pressure test yet.
My Stant tester has paid for itself 1000 times. Anytime someone is loosing coolant, let the vehicle cool, install the tester and pump it up to 18/20 lbs depending on the cooling system, and let it sit. It may take time, but you'll find the leak.
Unread 01-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #15
chainfeed

I've never used one but I'll have to pick one up, thanks!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.