Overheating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Overheating

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-19-2005, 03:30 PM   #1
JForestZ34

Overheating

Just have a really tricky question. Here goes. Wife is on her way to work today, everything is fine. When she got to work she said she shut the car off and was walking away and heard the engine fan still running. By the way it's a 03 GC. Well being that we've had this car for about 3 years it never did that before. So she stood there for about 20 min and it was still running. So she called me, being that I was at work I really couldn't do anything about it. She went out 20 minutes after that and she said the fan stopped.

Okay here's the other part of it. She's on the way home tonight and all of a sudden the temp starts to go in the red. Now the truck is overheating, so she said she turned it off. When she started it back up the temp went back down to the norm and she's on her way back home.

Could this be a bad thermostat? I could see that making it overheat but not keep the fan running. Maybe the temp sending unit is bad? I could think that would do it.

Any idea's

James

JForestZ34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2005, 03:58 PM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Check the coolant level. If you think that you have a leak, refill and mark it with a grease pencil or just a great eyeball on the amount. Recheck a couple of hours later to see if it has dropped. Now, it won't just evaporate, check underneath for drops.

If that is a dead end, the thermostat would be my next option.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2005, 04:25 PM   #3
JForestZ34

Overheating

Well the wife made it home and I checked the car out. She said the fan was running for close to an hour earlier this morning. Well she got home and I look at it the temp was around 195 to 200. Well I was curious to see if the fan would come on so I let it run to get alittle bit warmer. NO FAN CAME ON. SO I say I will force it to come on. I push the air on, nothing. Temp went up to around 240 so I jumped in real quick and took off down the street. Temp went down to normal. My question is in my opinion the fan is what's causing this to overheat. Why did it not come on. Was it because it was running for so long this morning it might have burned out? The only other thing I can think of it that the fan relay might be bad. Everything else is fine, the coolant level is fine and the everything else is normal.

If the coolant temp sensor went bad would that cause the fan to keep running after it was shut off. I could see if it didn't work it would cause the fan maybe not to come on for the fact that it is not reaching the spec temp to turn the fan on.

James
Unread 10-19-2005, 10:58 PM   #4
Milkbox350

the fan will stay on as long as it has to until it reaches the correct temp. your stat could be stuck closed. If i where you i would change it to see what it does. Its the cheapest and easiest way to start. See if they have a 190 stat(i think its 190). if not just grab the 210
Milkbox350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
JForestZ34

Overheating

Well we brought the Jeep into the dealership being that it's still under warrenty. They replaced the fan relay that's under the passenger side headlight. That was the reason why the fan wasn't running when the temp got up high, and when I put on the A/C. Everything seems fine now so we will see this weekend.

James

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.