overheated on side of road - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > overheated on side of road

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 06-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
dean477
1998 ZJ 

overheated on side of road

Just overheated in traffic w heater on full blast. Had my tstat and water pump replaced 6 months ago. Can anyone tell me how to check my fan clutch to see if it is working correctly? Also does anyone know about an aluminum blade set up? I'm probably going to have my mechanic flush the radiator, do the tstat. Unless I can prove its the clutch

thanks,
Dean

dean477 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
exmilitary
1998 ZJ 

When the engine is cold try turning the fan it should not turn more then a few times.
Run the engine until it warms up and the fam should have resistance.
exmilitary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
dean477
1998 ZJ 

K the car is cold now and the fan spins continuously. Is it supposed to lock up after a few turns?
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

A thermal fan should turn easily witha little resistance....if you can free spin it it is probly bad, or if it wobbles replace it....if all else is good, check your radiator cap and coolant/water rate...

I have also seen on other vehicles, the lower hose collapse( due to deteriating rubber) while driving and cut the flow of coolant off to the engine...
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Dubfire98
1996 ZJ 

I just replaced my fan clutch last month. It still had all the signs of being a good clutch. Resistance was good when hot. ive heard both that it should spin free when engine cold and that it should have a couple secs of lockup when first started from cold. Pop ur hood and rev up the engine. If u don't hear it whizzing really loud when the rpms go up, its bad. Replaced mine even tho it "seemed fine" and I haven't had one problem since.
Dubfire98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #6
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

The first thing I would have checked is the radiator itself. Look closely at the fins. If its the original radiator then its probably missing a butt load of cooling fins.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
dean477
1998 ZJ 

Okay, the jeep was at the shop all day today. The water pump, tstat, and rad cap were replaced 6 months ago. The radiator was replaced in 09.

According to the radiator shop (family friends that go back to the 1930's, so i trust them) they cant figure out why its overheating. So were going to replace the tstat that the cheap shop in san diego put on and see it if helps.

Would i be able to tell if the lower hose is deteriorated from the look of it? IIRC it was replaced in 09 as well and looks normal.

The fan spins with very slight resistance when cold. for maybe a quarter turn it has a bit more resistance than the rest of each complete spin. when i rev it, it starts to blow real strong and seems normal.

And to think I was about to take this on a week long trip all over California in 5 days.
Unread 06-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
dean477
1998 ZJ 

My local shop went to replace the tstat...and the Vietnamese ran shop(major language barrier) in San Diego put the damn thing in backwards. Awesome!

Next time I will tow the damn thing home instead of sending it to the nearest shop.

1 more problem checked off the list,

Thanks for your help guys
Unread 06-29-2013, 05:11 AM   #9
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

j/f is pretty good at solving most issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.