overheading issue. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > overheading issue.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 07-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Jameswj4
2004 WJ 

overheading issue.

hello jeepers. so i got a 1994 grand cherokee with a 5.2 v8 4x4.. anyways my dad was driving it home and it just started over heating. theres water in the radiator and the reservoir.. it went all the way hot. theres no smoke/steam coming out.

anyideas on what it could be i thought maybe the fan clutch but no idea. any help would be nice

Jameswj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameswj4 View Post
hello jeepers. so i got a 1994 grand cherokee with a 5.2 v8 4x4.. anyways my dad was driving it home and it just started over heating. theres water in the radiator and the reservoir.. it went all the way hot. theres no smoke/steam coming out.

anyideas on what it could be i thought maybe the fan clutch but no idea. any help would be nice
Water or coolent? Of just water put coolent in asap also does the temp spike up then slowly go back down? Also what temp is it getting to
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Jameswj4
2004 WJ 

Idk whether its water ir coolant. Im gonna out some in tho. And it just spiked up hit to 260 and stayed constant it didnt cool down till it was tunred off
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
Jameswj4
2004 WJ 

And found out the fan is working so I don't think it's that. . Unless ut just felt like overheating
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
ozzy_2_me
1994 ZJ 

I have the same thing happen to me. I would recommend replacing the fan clutch. it helped greatly on mine even tho the old one seemed to be working. I got mine from orielly auto. put in a new thermostat 195 degree is the factory temp. while you have the fan out I would also pick up some ac condenser cleaner from home depot and spray it all over the front and rear of the radiator and condenser and wash it off after about 15 min of soaking also helped. make shure your coolant water mix is right about 75-80percent coolant the rest water. also don't run the ac for long periods of time. the temp sensor for the temp gauge could be telling the wrong temp. it is in the front center of the intake manifold to the right of the t-stat housing and the left of the ac compressor. it ikind under the compressor a little bit it has two wires going to it and it is kind small and bit** to get at without unbolting the ac compressor and moving just a tad with out putting to much stress on the ac lines.

just some things to check and what worked for me.
ozzy_2_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
Jameswj4
2004 WJ 

Alright thanks man
Unread 07-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #7
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Grab your fan and pull in towards and away from you if there is any play remove the water pump and replace it
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.