Overhead Console problem - 93 ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Overhead Console problem - 93 ZJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAwesome Open box items at OPENBOXOFFROAD.COMJeep parts, deals and more at JeepHut.com

Unread 03-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
ishkibble
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Overhead Console problem - 93 ZJ

hello everyone,
i've been browsing this site since I got my first jeep in October 2008 and I gotta say this site rocks. first post to btw

I was wondering if anyone has heard of or had this same problem.

My ZJ is the 4.0 4X4 Limited and the overhead console won't work, doesn't come on, nothing. When i hit the 2 buttons at the same time every character in the LCD lights up and stays lit till i turn off the Jeep. on occasion it will flicker on by itself and will work for the duration of the trip, all functions working. I've checked fuses, did what research i could online, and inspected all the wiring that I could to no avail. For being a 1993 it is in great condition and i see no reason why it should not be working all the time.

thanks in advance for any advise
max

ishkibble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

According to the FSM that is a complete failure of the module. Replacement with a junkyard one is the only repair.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

Mine in my 93 ZJ did the exact same thing. The module is bad. I just went to a junk yard and pulled one out of another ZJ and replaced it. Very cheap. Took like 5 mins to replace.
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
ishkibble
1997 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the info but what exactly do you mean the module? The actual overhead assembly or some computer module somewhere?
ishkibble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

The lcd screen. It's about 4x4 inches once you take it out of the overhead console.
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Yup, take down the center console and you'll see it. It's a little circuit board with (I think) two flat connectors and it's held in by 4 screws. Unplug it, take out the four screws reverse procedure to put the new one in.

It really is as easy as that. A bunch of screws and two plugs.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
billbobagns
1987 XJ Cherokee 

You can FIX your own overhead Jeep XJ Digital Thermometer / Compass. I had this same problem for three years. I pulled 3 of these out of junk yards and they all had similar problem, but FINALLY, I found the FIX.

The circuit boards have 6 small caps which are "electrolitic". These are known to fail after a few years and are easy to replace.

I've found the answer myself. "Replace the 6 electrolitic caps on the circuit board. Seems some are rated at 105 deg F and parked in the sun, this roof mount probably gets much hotter than that. In any case, they fail and leak on the board. there is one 4.7uF/50V, a 100uf/6.3V, a 220uf/16V and three 100uF/35V. NOTICE the grey bar on each cap marks the (-) lead.

I found the three 100uF had leaked on all three of my circuit boards (I've been collecting these from Jeeps trying to find a good one). Its possible those were the only bad ones, but while I had my soldering gun out, I replaced all.

Now, all three of my units work perfectly.

I ordered my replacements from Digikey.com and got enough to fix all three for $7.

If you don't feel talented with a soldering gun, buy the parts and take it to an electronic repair shop.

Or, you can ship your module to me, pay the return shipping and I'll replace the 6 caps for free. Takes me about 30 min to remove the old ones, clean the boards with Cemtool B-12 and solder on the new caps.

One more NOTE; check the replacement caps for physical dimensions. both leads must come out the same end. The ones I got for the 100/6.3uf were 1/4" taller than the original so I had to make a small modification on the plastic case to let the cap stick out the top a little.

http://www.billjohnson.net/automotiv...ctrolitics.JPG here is how the caps are laid out on the card.
http://www.billjohnson.net/automotiv...ole_Wiring.doc here is the wireing for the body that supports the console.
billbobagns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
ricofly47

Overhead Console problem - 93 ZJ

Dear billbobagns.
I just see your post from 04-12-2009, about Overhead Console problem - 93 ZJ, and is just the problem i have, and the solution. I try to go to:
http://www.billjohnson.net/automotiv...ctrolitics.JPG here is how the caps are laid out on the card.
http://www.billjohnson.net/automotiv...ole_Wiring.doc for more info but is no more on line that place.
I will realy apreciate if you can send my a pic, draw or wgare ever to see those parts you talk about in that very interesting post. He in Mexico i may not have tha look to fine tha replece part for my baby 93zj, so i will like to give it a try whit your help if this is not too much problem for you.
Thank you in advance.
Ricardo Becerra
Ragards.
ricofly47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #9
Logi
1993 ZJ 

Thank you SO much, Billbobagns! I just mounted the circuit board after soldering help from a friend.
ALL functions work as they're supposed to Bought the components from eBay. On my 93 ZJ there are only 3 different types; 3× 100uf, 1×33uf and 1×10uf. Bough 10 of each at a total cost: $10
Your fix helped me out, big time!
Thanks again!
Logi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #10
sal694
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Dear billbobagns. i have the same problem with my overhead console. I would like to send you mine so you can solder those caps. please send me a picture of the caps so i can make i know what your talking about. thank you so much hope to here from you. sal
sal694 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #11
vlackattack
1997 ZJ 

send him a private message. He hasn't been on this thread in over 5 years, there's a much better chance he'll respond if you pm him.
vlackattack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.