Overhead console....again - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Overhead console....again

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-25-2005, 04:54 PM   #1
rschunk

Overhead console....again

Ok, I'm still having problems with the temp readout on the overhead console on my 93 GCL 4.0. It has been indicating -40 and then shifting over to OC.

I finally got the service manual today (30 days after ordering) and got to searching it and found a trouble shooting procedure for the console.

I have already replace the sensor itself (it was only $17.50..way better than I expected)

End result is the display shows CCD and the manual indicates to replace the ccd.
So where is it and how much does it cost?

ARB bumper with
T-Max 9000# Winch
Optima Yellow
JKS Swaybar Quick Disconnects
30x9 Dunlop Mud Rovers
Rocky Road Rockrails (Great rails, lousy shipping)
GPS Street Pilot
175,000 miles & still going!
93 Green GCL
Green Jeep Club Member #163

My Cherokee Page check out the pictures..

Also a 'Graphite' 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Graphite Jeep Club Member #1
rschunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2005, 05:08 PM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

The CCD is the bus (wiring) between the PCM and the module in the console.

Edit:
If you have ATC, then the temp sensor connects to the ATC controller, and the controller connects to the compass/trip module in the overhead console. If you don't have ATC, the temp sensor connects directly to the compass/trip module.

Last edited by HighLonesome; 05-25-2005 at 05:20 PM..
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2005, 06:17 PM   #3
rschunk

Overhead console....again

Ah, I take it by ATC you mean Automatic Temperature Control
No, don't have that. I'll have another go at trying to figure out the wiring diagrams,
since the OC indicates open circuit. One of the other forum members suggested using a low value <20K resistor to short across the leads to find the open.

I suppose I could just short the ccd terminals in the connector at the overhead. I did manage to figure out that connector!

Man, I hate to crawl around under the dashboard. They should make auto designers do three years as a shadetree mechanic before they ever let them get near a CAD terminal
ARB bumper with
T-Max 9000# Winch
Optima Yellow
30x9 Dunlop Mud Rovers
GPS Street Pilot
93 Green GCL

Unread 05-26-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Yes on the ATC. You are lucky...I have it and hate it. I have a similar problem and I am curious as to what you will find. Sounds like you already know your stuff, but make sure you disco the battery before shorting out the CCD bus.

I was going to look at the diagnostic procedure in the FSM last nite, but forgot. I was wondering what procedures or checks led up to the OC on the CCD bus. ?
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
rschunk

Overhead Console....again

I have the ATC in my 97 Grand. I like it, but then it hasn't given me any problems. Only thing with that one is the ABS light is on, and the shop says 600.00 for fixing it..

Ok, lets see....I sent the unit out to get the A/C fixed and a replacement instrument bezel put in because the speedo was toast. When it came back I noticed the outside temp was showing 'OC'. When you turn on the key, it shows -40 degrees and then quickly shifts over to 'OC'. Someone else on the list said it meant Open Circuit. I thought it was stuck on Zero Centigrade

First thing I did was buy a replacement sensor ($17.50). Of course I couldn't get my hand up between the grill and rad to get it out, so I resorted to sawing off the mounting tab. I replaced the sensor and remounted it down lower than original but in the same vertical. No joy in Jeep land..same thing.

The same person mentioned putting a <20K ohm resistor across the connectors going back to the console. This seemed like a great idea, until I tried to follow the wiring. So I resorted to waiting for the FSM that I ordered a month ago. That is another story in itself.

So last night I got into the FSM and found the self diagnostic test (page 8C-7). Ran the test and it showed 'CCd' as the code, which indicates "the module is not receiving all the CCd messages required for operation." So I guess Open Circuit is still viable. The harness connector, same page, Fig. 3 shows pins2/3 as the CCD feed. Looking through the 113 wiring diagrams which have PLENTY of CCD lines, I found diagram 74 which shows the Oustide Ambient Temp sensor for a non-ATC unit. That leads me back to a connector <D41> which is under the dash.

So basically I'm looking at pulling the dash.

Sorry for the long narrative, but you asked...
ARB bumper with
T-Max 9000# Winch
Optima Yellow
30x9 Dunlop Mud Rovers
GPS Street Pilot
93 Green GCL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.