overdrive solenoid/tcc solenoid same thing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > overdrive solenoid/tcc solenoid same thing?

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for Jeeps~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 02-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
SoCalDevyn
1998 ZJ 

overdrive solenoid/tcc solenoid same thing?

hey guys, sorry to make another thread but i really need a quick answer so thought this would help.

well my previous post talks about the jeep stalling when i got into reverse when the motor is cold, reverse works fine once i drive around a bit. and when i get to 50mph i get this hard jerk thing like the converter is locking up or something. well i was going to replace the tcc solenoid and the dealer only had something called the overdrive solenoid so i got that but i wanna make sure the two are basically the same thing and it will fix my problem. trying to get this done today.

thanks guys,
devyn

98 ZJ Limited 5.2, Blacked Out, 6.5" IRO Long Arm, 15x8 Pro Comp 97's, 35" MTZ's, Custom Front Bumper, Rusty's Disco's, KOR Light Bar, 8000K HID's, Magnaflow, CB, 5% Tint, System, TJ Gas Bezel, JKS Rear Trac Bar, Rusty's Front Trac Bar, KOR Stabilizer, Cold Air Intake, E-Fan, RCX Diff Guard, Clayton Brake Lines, MSD Ignition, Gen Right Louvers, Custom Sliders, IRO Belly Skid, Rigid Lights

Last edited by SoCalDevyn; 02-15-2009 at 02:07 PM..
SoCalDevyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
SoCalDevyn
1998 ZJ 

also their computers at the dealer only showed two solenoids in the tranny. govorner solenoid and the OD solenoid wich i got
98 ZJ Limited 5.2, Blacked Out, 6.5" IRO Long Arm, 15x8 Pro Comp 97's, 35" MTZ's, Custom Front Bumper, Rusty's Disco's, KOR Light Bar, 8000K HID's, Magnaflow, CB, 5% Tint, System, TJ Gas Bezel, JKS Rear Trac Bar, Rusty's Front Trac Bar, KOR Stabilizer, Cold Air Intake, E-Fan, RCX Diff Guard, Clayton Brake Lines, MSD Ignition, Gen Right Louvers, Custom Sliders, IRO Belly Skid, Rigid Lights
Unread 02-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
SoCalDevyn
1998 ZJ 

anyone?

Unread 02-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
Mikeyb928
2000 WJ 

good luck around here.... i've been trying to find out real tech info for a week and haven't gotten the answers i'm looking for.... but i am actually trying to pull my valve body right now and i know from the little bit of info i've been able to find else where that the overdrive and lockup solenoid are connected on the same bracket with a wiring harness. I'm looking for the temp sensor which from what I've read it is connected to these solenoids but am having difficulties getting the linkage to come apart, Hope this helps

Here's what I'm talking about with the overdrive/lockup solenoids
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...3A1|240%3A1318
-Painted Cladding and Bumpers, De-ambered Headlights
-265/75/R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16"x7" Cragar Soft 8's
Mikeyb928 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

On the 42RE, the temp thermistor is part of the gov pressure sensor.

OD and TCC are sold as an assembly and the valve body has to come off to replace it.

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...id_s/10538.htm
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
3_high_low

I think TCC lock up should only happen when you're cruising in OD and it should be barely noticeable.

Is the vehicle already in OD when it jerks, or does the jerk happen when it shifts to OD?

To answer your question, no, I don't think the OD solenoid and the TCC solenoid are the same thing.

EDIT: I see you got some better answers while I was typing lol.
3_high_low is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_high_low View Post
I think TCC lock up should only happen when you're cruising in OD
It locks up in 3rd too if the OD is disabled.
Unread 02-16-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
SoCalDevyn
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb928 View Post
good luck around here.... i've been trying to find out real tech info for a week and haven't gotten the answers i'm looking for.... but i am actually trying to pull my valve body right now and i know from the little bit of info i've been able to find else where that the overdrive and lockup solenoid are connected on the same bracket with a wiring harness. I'm looking for the temp sensor which from what I've read it is connected to these solenoids but am having difficulties getting the linkage to come apart, Hope this helps

Here's what I'm talking about with the overdrive/lockup solenoids
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...3A1|240%3A1318
hmm thanks for the post, thats actually the same part i got at the dealer. is that what controls the converter locking or jus when OD shifts?
but yea ive noticed its hard to get help with there kinda questions.

3_high_low: it will jerk right after switching to OD but if i am hard on the gas sometimes it will not do it

ZeeJay1997: ill have to try that, turning OD off and seeing if it still does the jerk. if it does then what do u think should b replaced?

edit: on was on this website and found this http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-00053392c.htm
same part i got but there says it the OD/lock-up solenoid so maybe a posibility is controls both?

ive also been reading around trying to find stuff and i cant find any TCC Solenoid info for the 44RE tranny so maybe the two are the same part?

Last edited by SoCalDevyn; 02-16-2009 at 11:37 AM..
Unread 02-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
SoCalDevyn
1998 ZJ 

anyone......
Unread 02-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Devyn, The part in the linked pic is the OD TCC solenoid assembly. Why do you think this will fix your problem?

Im pretty sure this has nothing to do with reverse. Your revserse problem sounds like low fluid.

The other problem could be any number of things, depending on which shift it is occurring on.

Do the simple stuff first, fluid level, cable adjustment.

If your going to throw parts at it, go ahead and change all the electronics in the tranny. You can get them on the site I linked for around 200 bucks.

EDIT BTW, I my experience is with a 42 RE, so I don;t know the difference.
Unread 02-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #11
SoCalDevyn
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Devyn, The part in the linked pic is the OD TCC solenoid assembly. Why do you think this will fix your problem?

Im pretty sure this has nothing to do with reverse. Your revserse problem sounds like low fluid.

The other problem could be any number of things, depending on which shift it is occurring on.

Do the simple stuff first, fluid level, cable adjustment.

If your going to throw parts at it, go ahead and change all the electronics in the tranny. You can get them on the site I linked for around 200 bucks.

EDIT BTW, I my experience is with a 42 RE, so I don;t know the difference.
well i was told that part would fix it, atleast the OD shift jerk thing going on.
the reverse thing is what gets me cause it works fine once i drive a bit. and the cable is already adjusted(TV) and the fluid is new along with the filter, changed two weeks ago. and i dont have money to spend so im trying to get only what i need to get it fixed.

and as far as i know the 42RE and 44RE have parts that are the same
Unread 02-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #12
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Are you checking fluid while hot, level, idling, in neutral, and shift through all positions before checking?

If your set on replacing the OD solenoid, put some Lucas in it when you top it off and see if the reverse prob goes away.
Unread 02-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #13
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

no on the lucas, and if you'd check the fsm you'd know that stalling or lurching when put in reverse is a possible symptom of the tcc solenoid being bad, combine that with the hard lock up in 4th and there you go.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #14
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

I got lazy and didn't look at the FSM. Also didnt ask how old the tranny is b4 I recommended Lucas... fallin back on the free advice...
Unread 02-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #15
SoCalDevyn
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Are you checking fluid while hot, level, idling, in neutral, and shift through all positions before checking?

If your set on replacing the OD solenoid, put some Lucas in it when you top it off and see if the reverse prob goes away.
yes that is how i check the fluid.

and i will b if that is what the problem seems to b?

thought about actaully putting some lucas in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
no on the lucas, and if you'd check the fsm you'd know that stalling or lurching when put in reverse is a possible symptom of the tcc solenoid being bad, combine that with the hard lock up in 4th and there you go.
why no on the lucas?
whats the fsm? Factory Service Manual? Cause all i have it the Haynes book

and are u saying then it is the OD/lock-up solenoid? cause from my research i can find no tcc for the 44re and its jus one part that is the OD and converter lock up solenoid which i aready got from the dealer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.