overdrive slippage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > overdrive slippage

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 07-23-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
ddevitto

overdrive slippage

I have an '02 grand cherokee. I am having shifting problems during normal highway driving conditions. The jeep will shift out of overdrive and downshift causing the jeep to jerk and increase the rpm's. This occurs on flat surfaces, going downhill and uphill. It only happens for a split second then shifts back into overdrive. It will do this repeatedly during long trips. When it shifts like this it will also kick off the cruise control. I have taken it to two dealerships they acknowledge the problem but have no idea what it could be; any suggestions?

ddevitto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
TriggerHappy

So your saying you have overdrive engaged with cruise on and it will lock out OD which causes your tach to go up and this happens how often?
exhaust and BFG All- Terrain
265/75/16's.
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
ddevitto

re overdrive slippage

Overdrive is engaged; however, the rev's will increase for a second like it is downshifting out of overdrive and if the cruise is on it will shut off. This happens on long highway trips and occurs atleast 5 times on an hour drive. It is like the jeep is sputtering on small grades and flat surfaces. Spark plugs were replaced and this still happened. The two dealerships gave the jeep back saying they did not know how to fix it.
Unread 07-26-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
cliffhiker

Had a very similar problem with my 2000 ... also had the check engine light come on a couple of times...
Cleaning the throttle body cured it..
cliffhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
CajunWon

What is the increase in RPM when this happens and at what speed? Which engine and Tranny? Does this only happen with Cruise Control?

i.e with the 4oh and 42re: if rpm the increase is only ~250 then it's the lock-up torque converter. This can normally be resolved with ATF change, and ATF+4 works better than AFT+3 on this issue.
If rpms go from 2k to 3k on a level surface then the TV cable could be too tight.
If only during Cruies Cntrl then it's another issue, like vacuum leak.
CajunWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
ddevitto

overdrive slippage

Thanks for all the insight will look into all the possibilities. To answer a few questions the jeep is a regular straight six four liter with the four speed automatic with overdrive. This happens at speeds ranging from 62 m.p.h. to 72 m.p.h.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.