OverDrive Question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > OverDrive Question?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
WildTornado77
1995 ZJ 

OverDrive Question?

Bought my 1995 JGC Laredo a couple of months ago. My first jeep, a winter vehicle. Thank You for the congrats. I think my tranny might have an Overdrive issue. On the highway I turn overdrive on and off and notice no differnce what is the RPM in OD at say 60 or like 65 MPH suppose to be?

Can any one give me a hand or maybe had simmilar issue?

WildTornado77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
JustN11
1997 ZJ 

I'm on my phone, so I'm sorry if the info is in your profile, but what engine do you have? 4.0 or 5.2? There will be other things that factor into cruising rpm's, such as ride height and tire size. Those things should play a minimal role so I could get you in a ball park area. My 4.0 with OD on at stock height with 28" tires (iirc) cruises at about 1700 rpm's at 60 mph, 1900 at 65, and just a hair over 2k at 70.
JustN11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
melk
1996 ZJ 

You should definitely be able to discern a change in the transmission, along with at ~400 change in rpms.

Likely the OD solenoid is no good.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
WildTornado77
1995 ZJ 

sorry for not enough info but mostly stock engine 4.0 and wheels 225/75 R15 but it sound like my tranny does not go into overdrive thank you.
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Does the O/D light come on/off? If you are at crusing speed and cancel O/D, even if its not in O/D you should feel the T/C lock in 3rd gear, does it lock in 3rd? The T/C does not normally lock in 3rd gear and only does so when O/D is canceled off. Do you have a way to monitor data and see if its commanded, or look at TP sensor voltage, you can test TP voltage with a DVOM too. TP should be around .5-1v at idle and gradually increase to 4.5 or so at WOT.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2012, 01:07 AM   #6
WildTornado77
1995 ZJ 

THE OD LIGHT WORKS FINE AND I DON'T SEE A CHANGE IN RPM WHEN TURN OFF OD, LIGHT ON. MY RPMS ARE AT 3,000 AT 65 MPH I NOW KNOW IT IS NOT GOING INTO OVERDRIVE. jnicewan I am more of a easy fix person so can you please no acronyms like (DVOM), (WOT).
Unread 08-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i'd suggest a trip through the FAQ thread to familiarize yourself with the basic troubleshooting and acronyms, as well as the equipment your vehicle has. then you can more easily use the search function as well as understand us better when advice is given.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Ok, you still should probably look at the TP (throttle position) sensor, without having a check eng light or code to go by, you will need to read the TP sensor voltage. Sometimes a TP sensor can fail within their limits and not produce a check eng light/code. The TP sensor can permit T/C (torque converter) lock up and O/D shifting. As mentioned above the problem could also be the O/D & T/C shift solenoid assy, along with numerous other things.

Since you noticed no RPM change when pushing the O/D button, I would suspect the problem is electrical. Its obvious you stated you had no O/D but since you noticed no change at all in RPM, it sounds like the torque convertor is not locking in 3rd either (with O/D off). Might be time to suspect either a TP or shift solenoid assy. It might help if you had a way to check for codes, only problem is the 95 takes a specific scan tool since its not OBD-2.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
WildTornado77
1995 ZJ 

Replace Throttle positioning sensor and rpms are better but still not shifting into OverDrive

Tags
overdrive , tranny problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.