Overdrive QUE?!?!?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Overdrive QUE?!?!?!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-31-2003, 04:46 PM   #1
spichman510

Overdrive QUE?!?!?!

Ok, i am starting to actually get some knowledge about jeeps here, but heres a normal car question. What exactly does overdrive do? And was it causing my trans to shift up then down real fast and jerk so much that i lose power when i am accelorating pretty fast? I turned OD off but i havent floored it yet to see if its the same, will do that tongiht.

-'98 5.9 Grand Cherokee-[/B]
spichman510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2003, 06:50 PM   #2
Ryan2son

OD decreases your RPMs ~500 and gives you better gas mileage. I turn mine off in the mountains because the tranny will shift, shift shift (did I mention shift - hehehe).

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
4x4, 4.7 V8, Quadratrac II, Loaded

A Hail the Mighty Philadelphia Eagles!
Ryan2son is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2003, 11:43 PM   #3
Zaphod
SACPOWERTV.com

1981 J-Series Truck 

I believe overdrive allows you to engage and disengage the highest gear. so when overdrive is on in a 4-speed AT, you have all 4 gears. when it is off, you have only the first 3.

the reason your jeep was shifting up and down rapidly with overdrive on is that the car is at an angle on the hill that your present speed and engine RPM kept the computer right on the line of when to up/down-shift. it couldn't decide which to do, so it did both, over and over. turning off overdrive disables that fourth gear, keeping the jeep in the 3rd gear and smoothly rolling up the mountain with less abuse to your tranny.

correct me if i'm wrong, y'all. i hate spreading mis-information.

Oh, and for spichman:
Don't think overdrive would do that with your tranny, especially if it is on level ground. That sounds like a different (and very nasty) tranny problem.

"The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone,
somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people
over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2003, 08:49 AM   #4
spichman510

mmmmmmmmm, i like very nasty tranny problems,...alot. Ill take it in and check it out, thanks for all the info.

Unread 06-02-2003, 05:46 PM   #5
Stocker

Ryan2son & Sonar have it right...

OD is simply your highest gear, by definition higher than a 1:1 direct ratio. Fourth in a 4 speed, fifth in a 5 speed etc. The OD lockout just, well, locks out the highest gear. If conditions cause your tranny to constantly hunt in & out of OD, lock it out - it's less stressful to the tranny & driveline. If you floor the throttle, the tranny should shift down - out of OD.
Unread 06-02-2003, 09:21 PM   #6
ZR7 Ken

Spicher,

When you take your ZJ in for service, have them check for a service bulletin about "bucking at wide-open-throttle". There were some governor pressure sensors that would allow the vehicle to hit the rev limiter before upshifting. Rev limiter causes jerking/bucking due to fuel shutoff. Sound like your problem??
ZR7 Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2003, 09:35 PM   #7
spichman510

ken,
that sounds EXACLTY like my problem. Thats prob what it is, if not ill be one unhappy camper. thank you for that one.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.