overdrive goes out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > overdrive goes out

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
bigfoot493
1993 ZJ 

overdrive goes out

so i've searched and could not find an answer to my question to save my life. I have a 93 zj w/4.0 auto. when it rains or i cross a mud puddle or standing water the od kicks out and the light flashes and then stays on. like if im ridding down the highway doing 65 and it starts poring it will kick out and the light flashe and comes on and i can push it all day long and the od will still stay off. but as soon as i hit dry pavement od comes back. so the mud puddle or standing water aint to bad bc when im through it the od works but it sure does suck ridding down the highway in a rain storm. any ideas where i can start?

also i found this out one day going down the highway and was getting off onto another road on the ramp and it just started pouring and when im 1/2 way in the curve the od kicked out ant the tranny downshifted and the rear end got squirley...............not to fun. but now i know what to expect when it rains. so im ready for it.

Unread 08-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
bigfoot493
1993 ZJ 

also checked the factory service manual i have and did not see any thing in there about od going in and out only about it either staying in od or not going out.
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Syncityj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot493
also checked the factory service manual i have and did not see any thing in there about od going in and out only about it either staying in od or not going out.
I read my owners manual and it says when the transmission overheats the OD will kick off.
Syncityj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
bigfoot493
1993 ZJ 

it only does it when it rains thogh. like i can be driving normal all day and it sprinkels and get the road wet and it will kick out but as soon as i reach dry pavment it will be back working fine...............is there some kind of electrical conector for the od or on the od
Unread 08-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

the TCM monitors the thermistor in the gov pressure sensor to determine trans temp. this resistance value is around 1000 ohms (to ground) when cold. as the transmission heats up, this resistance value decreases.

water is a conductor. when the wiring gets wet, it lowers the resistance to ground on the trans temp circuit, fooling it into an overtemp condition.

my first step would be to follow the wire harness from connector on the top of the transmission and check for damage. if nothing obvious, disconnect harness from transmission, clean connectors, use dielectric grease, reassemble.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
bigfoot493
1993 ZJ 

thanks. ill give that a try and try to find some water to drive through or just wait till it rains again.
Unread 08-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot493
thanks. ill give that a try and try to find some water to drive through or just wait till it rains again.
Got a water hose? Spray your road down and drive over it haha.
Unread 08-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
Syncityj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez

Got a water hose? Spray your road down and drive over it haha.
I was thinking why not just hose down the part or connection in question then go for a drive.
Syncityj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncityj

I was thinking why not just hose down the part or connection in question then go for a drive.
Spray bottle with water! Hahahah.
Unread 08-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
bigfoot493
1993 ZJ 

yea knowing my luck that would mess somthing else up. I just changed my front passenger side axle shaft and yesterday while driving on the beach heard a new clunkig noise from th drivers side that wasent there before. NEVER ending story with this jeep. Before i got this jeep 2 yars ago it had sat for 3 years and was not driven. now alot of problems are starting to surface. coolant sensor, brake callipers, radiatior, starter,......... more to come
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

be sure give the harness a detailed inspection with plenty of light and an inspection mirror if necessary. there was a thread last week where the same harness was causing a tranny problem. it happens.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.