Over-Heating - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Over-Heating

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 11-03-2009, 05:31 AM   #16
colt808
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by selim View Post
Ok guys. You are all going to hate me now due to my new discovery.
Today when the car cooled down enough I opened the radiator cap to see that Water was not visible. But, the coolant level was half way so from that I assumed that the water in the radiator would be fine.
Anyways, I filled the radiator up and it took about 1.5litres of water.
After that, I ran the car with the cap off for a little bit and the water love seemed to be going down and coming back up. From this I am assuming that water is flowing fine through the radiator and engine.
Also, I took the switch off the thermostat and put it back on... Thinking the connection may not have been sitting on properly.

So, I drove the car as per normal... With the a/c cranked up and the car did not over heat at all.
So that's tht problem.

Now my next concern is that why does the water in the radiator go low, and collant box stays fine. It use to be the other way around!

What could be the cause for the radiator to get low?

Thanks guys and yes I know... I'm a d#%k h*+d.

Selim
When you say water, I hope you mean coolant. If not, you need to know that water tends to boil off and can be the cause of your empty radiator. Not to mention, the mineral deposits that can really screw up the cooling system.

Your overflow tank level would be more important if you had a closed system (no radiator cap). But since you don't have a closed system, you need to always check both. I think that you probably let the coolant level in the radiator drop to low and it was unable to create a vacuum to siphon coolant from the overflow tank. Since you let the system drop so low, you really should purge any air from the system. If you're not sure how, just check the levels for the next couple of days and top off as necessary. This should take care of it.

So keep the radiator and overflow at the correct levels, you should have no problems. And if you're using water...I strongly recommend you do a complete flush and refill with the proper coolant mix.

colt808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 06:36 AM   #17
selim

Mate, your a legend. I will do exactly that and fingers crossed it will work.

Ill post back to give you an update.

Cheers mate
selim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 06:51 AM   #18
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

A new radiator cap might help also.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:00 AM   #19
selim

I have changed that not long ago thinking that may of been the original problem... but it hadnt made a difference at all.
Unread 11-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #20
gunner454
1993 ZJ 

The way i have used to make sure my radiator and everything was full was park it on a hill, facing upwards. When the engine is cool, remove the radiator cap and top off the coolant. Then, with the cap still off, start the engine and turn the heater on full blast hot and just let it run, as coolant begins to circulate the level drops a bit and just keep adding more till its full. Obviously don't let it run for a long long time. Once that is done, put the cap back on and you should be golden. Has worked for me.
gunner454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #21
selim

Excellent... will do that now.
But there has to be a leak somewhere. Any ideas on how I can find that leak???
Unread 11-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #22
colt808
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner454 View Post
The way i have used to make sure my radiator and everything was full was park it on a hill, facing upwards. When the engine is cool, remove the radiator cap and top off the coolant. Then, with the cap still off, start the engine and turn the heater on full blast hot and just let it run, as coolant begins to circulate the level drops a bit and just keep adding more till its full. Obviously don't let it run for a long long time. Once that is done, put the cap back on and you should be golden. Has worked for me.
I did not even think to suggest that...the last time I did that was back in high school shop class. But we did it was with the engine warm so the t-stat is open. I guess starting out cool would be safer and still get the same results. You can also "burp" the upper hose by squeezing it a few times.
colt808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #23
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by selim View Post
Excellent... will do that now.
But there has to be a leak somewhere. Any ideas on how I can find that leak???
If there are no visible signs of a leak I would start with a compression check to see if you have a bad head gasket.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #24
gunner454
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmaveric View Post
If there are no visible signs of a leak I would start with a compression check to see if you have a bad head gasket.
x2

Also a flexible mirror has helped me in finding small leaks in the past as well.
gunner454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.