Over-Heating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Over-Heating

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-20-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
selim

Over-Heating

Hi,

I have a Australian (right hand drive) 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo and the car seems to overheat when it comes to a hold.
Once the car starts moving again, the temp goes to half way or a little over.

This has been happening for the past 1 month and not sure what its from.
The other day it happened again, and I turned the air-con off and then on again, then the temp gauge did not go over half way which seemed like its gone back to normal.

I have checked the fan and everything seems fine to my knowledge.

Just a little history on the car... I have been topping up the coolant every 3-4weeks due to being farely low and the warning coming up in the car.

It seems that now with the overheating problem, the coolant has not needed to be filled!!! Seems wierd that one problem has been solved and another has started.

Can anybody shed some light on this!
Its really anoying me and am on the erge of selling it!

Thanks

Selim

selim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 02:50 AM   #2
selim

hi again,

Please can anybody help with me with this overheating issue.
It seems to be getting worse... especially when I stop at traffice lights.
Sometimes Im scare to even stop.

Thanks
Selim
Unread 11-02-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
Kramer H
Built and Supercharged 47

2001 WJ 

have you changed your t-stat? have you noticed any leaks on the ground? fill out your vehicle info so we know what you have. v8 or I6? what year? could be a head gasket.
K8 GSXR 1000- Racefit,Comp Werks,Puig,Woodcraft,B2 Industries,55W HID'S, R&G Engineering, Two brothers, ASV, DDM, "The pantie dropper"
Kramer H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 03:25 AM   #4
selim

Vehicle is an 01 grand cherokee laredo I6. It is an australian car so its right hand drive.

When you say leaks on the ground... do you mean the road or the floor of the car, as in under the floor mat!
The reason why I asked is because I have another post which is about my floor being soaking wet!

Also, what is a t-stat.
Unread 11-02-2009, 03:29 AM   #5
colt808
1998 ZJ 

Bad water pump...probably not moving coolant when at idle. The loss of coolant is pretty slow and likely due to the overheating.

Run your engine to operating temperature and then carefully touch the return hose to feel if its hot. If it is, the t-stat (thermostat) is opening up okay. Wait about 15 minutes and VERY carefully remove the radiator cap. Use a bunch of towels to avoid getting burnt when you relieve the pressure. Once you remove the cap, run the engine again and check that the coolant is flowing. My bet is that the fins on the water pump have failed and the flow will be weak at idle.

When you change the pump, it'd be a good time to flush the system and change the t-stat while you're at it. Don't forget to include the heater lines/core in the flush.

Your wet floor is likely a problem with the evaporator core drain being plugged. Lots of posts about how to fix that, just do a search. Hmm...to be sure though, does the floor smell like coolant? If it does it could be the heater core or blown heating hose/fitting.

Last edited by colt808; 11-02-2009 at 03:33 AM.. Reason: Added wet floor answer
colt808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 03:32 AM   #6
Kramer H
Built and Supercharged 47

2001 WJ 

could be one of two things. bad water pump as stated, OR bad heater core. any issues with your heating? that wet floor, did it smell sweet? was it coolant on the floor? thats due to a bad/leaking heater core.
K8 GSXR 1000- Racefit,Comp Werks,Puig,Woodcraft,B2 Industries,55W HID'S, R&G Engineering, Two brothers, ASV, DDM, "The pantie dropper"
Kramer H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

With the problem mainly occuring when stopped, I have a feeling it has to do with the cooling fan. I was having the same problem on my '04 and it was a bad fan. The brushes in the fan were worn and not turning the fan at full speed. Of four brushes one of them was so worn that it was not even touching the armeture (SP).

My fan is the 2 speed one. I do not know what you have but one way to tell is to check how many wires are in the connector at the fan. 2 wires is a single speed and 3 wires is a 2 speed. It could also be the fan relay being intermitent.

And I do not think there is any difference in the cooling system just because it is a right hand drive.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
lasvegas
1995 ZJ 

Sounds like a heater core to me. Anytime you need to keep adding coolant, there must be a leak somewhere. Head gasket was my second guesss, but after reading some more, you definately have a heater core issue.
lasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by selim View Post
Vehicle is an 01 grand cherokee laredo I6. It is an australian car so its right hand drive.

When you say leaks on the ground... do you mean the road or the floor of the car, as in under the floor mat!
The reason why I asked is because I have another post which is about my floor being soaking wet!

Also, what is a t-stat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer H View Post
could be one of two things. bad water pump as stated, OR bad heater core. any issues with your heating? that wet floor, did it smell sweet? was it coolant on the floor? thats due to a bad/leaking heater core.
The wet floor mat could be from a bad heater core, which could account for the loss of coolent, or it could be from a plugged condensate drain for the A/Cond system. As stated if it smells sweet it is probably coolent, which should also have a slight slick feel to it.

T-Stat= engine temperature thermostat.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegas View Post
Sounds like a heater core to me. Anytime you need to keep adding coolant, there must be a leak somewhere. Head gasket was my second guesss, but after reading some more, you definately have a heater core issue.
Could not a head gasket cause overheating also?

Lifetime member #13

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #11
lasvegas
1995 ZJ 

yes, it could, but what your describing (wet floor, sweet smell, loss of coolent), I would guess a heater core. Just my guess though. Good luck!
lasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #12
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegas View Post
yes, it could, but what your describing (wet floor, sweet smell, loss of coolent), I would guess a heater core. Just my guess though. Good luck!
The OP did not say that the floor water smelled sweet, someone else asked him if it did.

Also this from his original post leads me to think it is a relay problem. He turned off the A/C and turned it back on and everything was OK. "The other day it happened again, and I turned the air-con off and then on again, then the temp gauge did not go over half way which seemed like its gone back to normal." If I am correct, when you turn the A/C on it kicks on the electric fan, if the relay was intermitent this could be his problem. Or it could still be the fan.

Lifetime member #13

2011 Tango/Mango JKU

Last edited by michiganmaveric; 11-02-2009 at 07:09 PM..
Unread 11-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
selim

Thanks for all the replies guys... it seems that I need to do some hard work to get to the problem.

Some new information... due to being 35C degrees here in Sydney!

I drove the car this morning when the temp was about 29C degrees and it seems that on hot days, its more likely to be overheating.

With the A/C on or off when idling at a set of traffic lights... the temp starts going up.

But its wierd because this doesnt always happen. Some days it doesnt go up at all, even though it might be 25C degrees.

Also with the wet floor, I clearly remember that it did not smell like anything at all. To me it looked, felt and smelt like water... but maybe with a little bit of bad odour due to the water sitting there for who knows how long! (when I first discovered the problem)

I hope this information above will help you, help me, to help my car...

cheers,
Selim
Unread 11-03-2009, 04:04 AM   #14
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

With everything you are saying I am still convinced that it is cooling fan related.

For the water on the floor, one way to check if your drain is plugged is to run the A/Cond and after a little while see if you have water dripping from under the jeep, your drivers side area rear of front tyre, that is where the drain is located. Take it for a short drive and when you stop the water should start to puddle under the jeep. Look at another jeep to get an idea of exactly is is coming from. If you do not see water draining on the ground then your drain is plugged.

If you go to www.jeepslmited.com there are a couple of good write ups with pics about how to change the relay and fan.

Lifetime member #13

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
Unread 11-03-2009, 04:09 AM   #15
selim

Ok guys. You are all going to hate me now due to my new discovery.
Today when the car cooled down enough I opened the radiator cap to see that Water was not visible. But, the coolant level was half way so from that I assumed that the water in the radiator would be fine.
Anyways, I filled the radiator up and it took about 1.5litres of water.
After that, I ran the car with the cap off for a little bit and the water love seemed to be going down and coming back up. From this I am assuming that water is flowing fine through the radiator and engine.
Also, I took the switch off the thermostat and put it back on... Thinking the connection may not have been sitting on properly.

So, I drove the car as per normal... With the a/c cranked up and the car did not over heat at all.
So that's tht problem.

Now my next concern is that why does the water in the radiator go low, and collant box stays fine. It use to be the other way around!

What could be the cause for the radiator to get low?

Thanks guys and yes I know... I'm a d#%k h*+d.

Selim

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.