Over head lights wont turn off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Over head lights wont turn off

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
roundrbn

Over head lights wont turn off

First i had door lights staying on with overhead lights i changed driver door jam and passenger door jam swithes pulled all four out then pugged them in those lights work properly the overhead cargo lights stay on once imturn the key off i changed the the headlight swith box on the dash board changed courtesy light relay swith in fuse box still they stay on but when i turn key on all interior lights work correctly ran out of options 1996 jeep grand cherokee 4x4 limited 5.2

roundrbn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
dellis
1998 ZJ 

Did you check the rear hatch class switch? If you take about 4 of the screws just below the window, you can bend the plastic out to get to it.
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
roundrbn

I took the rear cargo switch and u plugged that and all the door switches and the overhead cargo lights still stAy on??? Oh and my rear glass does not open
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

This may or may not be relevant, but I found a pinched wire inside my overhead console once. But it made them flicker...not stay on.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
roundrbn

If it were a short they wouldn't work properly whn the key is on I'm out of options
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
JacoToTheB
1997 ZJ 

Does your VIC ever say your back hatch is open? I had that problem where the lights would stay on. If you open the back hatch and press the cargo light it turns off all interior lights.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/my-jeep-build-infamous-f150-coils-1767489/
JacoToTheB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
roundrbn

I have changed all switches in the jeep my Vic shows nothing open when I turn truck off and take key out overhead lights stay on? I have changed out the light switch panel made sure door jams were working but still interior light stays on I have to pull he fuse when key out if ignition when key is in ignition the switching works correctly gonna try changing the ignition relay
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #8
i6zombiejeep
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
This may or may not be relevant, but I found a pinched wire inside my overhead console once. But it made them flicker...not stay on.
I had this too. My lights wouldn't shut off. I fixed one of my switches in the rear passenger door which fixed the it partially, then i found and fixed a pinched wire in the overhead console which solved the issue completely.
i6zombiejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #9
roundrbn

Well originally the Vic showed doors open and overhead light was on changed the door jam switches all around even did overhead console switch and the Vic was good showed no doors open but overhead lights still on changed dash board light switch and light resister switch on floor panel still overhead lights stay on when truck is off and key is out but (when the key is on all lights work correctly so I'm gonna change the ignition relay switch next my last option ?
Unread 02-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #10
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

isn't there a timed relay that controls the lights? Makes them stay lit only for xx amount of time during certain situations then turn off..
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2014, 11:32 PM   #11
roundrbn

Yes there is a dimmer switch I changed that first still overhead stayed on
Unread 02-21-2014, 03:03 AM   #12
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Hmm.....I turn my key off..and open my door...the overhead lights come on. (Normal.)
They dont go off until I lock the doors. ( normal).
They also go off after 5 minutes...without locking the doors. ( normal)
But I can get another minute ( or maybe it's another 5, I forget) when I punch the rear cargo light housing ( switch).
I wonder if your issue is in the rear cargo light area or the controller that it's signaling.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 06:02 AM   #13
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Timed function is in the bcm. He never said he pushed the light switch,only that he disconnected it. It maybe that the switch in the open position {disconnected} keeps the light in the on position. There were some whacky switching going on in normal operation if I'm not mistaken. Got to go to work, when I get home I'll look at the diagrams, if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Unread 02-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #14
1998_ZJltd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundrbn View Post
I took the rear cargo switch and u plugged that and all the door switches and the overhead cargo lights still stAy on??? Oh and my rear glass does not open
You unplugged the wrong plug it sounds ..
1998_ZJltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #15
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Sorry I took so long. The bcm does rely on the liftgate/liftglass sense circuit to time the lights staying on or off looks like. This can be bypassed by the cargo light disable. What I post wont do you much good without visual images. Looks like the disable takes the courtesy lamp relay out of the circuit { controlled by the bcm} and keeps the lights on. But if either liftgate or liftglass switch is stuck open with the disable off the lights will rely on the bcm timer to cut them off.

liftgate.jpg

cargo-lamp-disable.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.