Outer Rear Axle Seals - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Outer Rear Axle Seals

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread Today, 06:43 PM   #1
bahamit_147
1994 ZJ 

Outer Rear Axle Seals

Ok I've checked the search function, and I can't seem to find if anyone has put up a walk-through of how to change out the rear outer axle seals on one of these. This is the first SUV I've had since my college years so I'm fairly rusty on working on them. I'm about 99.9% positive that my passenger rear outer axle seal has seen its last days. Bought the truck and for its maiden voyage took it on about a 1050km (700mile) road trip and near the end of the return trip noticed oil running from out from my axle over my tire. So tomorrow going to refill the rear dif and start gathering parts etc.

Do I need any special tools to do this besides a seal puller (I can rent one at my parts store)?
Is there an up to date link to a how to on this (I intend to do both sides as there is no point doing all the prep work to only do one and end up having to do it again a few months later).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is my first jeep and my only other vehicle of the last few years is my 2001 audi a4, a fair bit different than this old girl lol.

bahamit_147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 06:52 PM   #2
94cherry
1994 ZJ 

If you ever did the rear bearings and seals on a rear wheel drive car you can do a jeep. Do the bearings while you have the axles out. Get a bearing puller/seal puller to make the job smooth and easy IMO. Replace with new diff oil. Also some grease on the bearings helps with break in period.
Unread Today, 07:26 PM   #3
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Here's a real good write-up by FastSUV, who's a member here, on replacing the rear seals/bearing on a 44a axle. I'd go with the Timken bearings in the thread and the 35c & 44a axles use the same parts.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...-Wheel-Bearing

You best also check to see if your ebrake pads are soaked with gear oil and may be a good time to replace them anyhow.

Here's a write-up I did on the ebrake cam/lever replacement and you may be able to salvage them while using them over.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/e...te-up-1605033/

Lastly if you don't know what exactly came on your ZJ from the factory fill out the below Jeep form and write, "Request for build sheet" in the first box. Within 2-3 days they should email you your build sheet.

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/j...ull&category=U

Welcome to the forum and good luck!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 09:51 PM   #4
bahamit_147
1994 ZJ 

Thank you very much for those links.

I tried to fill out the form in the third link however being Canadian, I cannot enter either a valid state nor zip code so I cannot fill it out, but thank you for providing it for me.

Thanks for the welcome, and I think I will get the seals and bearings changed now then next time get all brakes and e-brakes done the next time since I have a set of rotors and pads sitting waiting to be installed on the Audi lol.

Thank you again for the help.
bahamit_147 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.