Out with the old, In with the new - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Out with the old, In with the new

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #31
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleWHunter
oh yeah wow, pictured it a lot more complex, Thanks! nice pic btw
It's a jeep, always use KISS method

KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #32
KyleWHunter
1996 ZJ 

hey guys, got the sway bar link off. I am having trouble with the drive shaft though, keeps spinning when I attempt to unbolt it. I gotta try something to make it stop.
However, I did manage to get the differential cover off and have a look at that. Now I just have to cut the brackets off sand it paint it and weld the new brackets on and its gtg.
img_0768.jpg   img_0769.jpg   img_0770.jpg  
KyleWHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:06 AM   #33
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

get a big pipe wrench on the driveshaft, or stick a pry bar or giant screwdriver thru the opening of the bracket that bolts to the face of the rear diff. you should be able to hold that, cause it sounds like you're not using air tools.

And if you want the ABS to work with your jeep, take out that gear with all the teeth on it and grind every other one off then reinstall it. BUT that would require setting up the ring and pinion all over again.
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #34
KyleWHunter
1996 ZJ 

nope, not using air tools, good ol' elbow grease for me. I'll see what I'm going to do with the ABS might not do it because I am 90% going to re-gear.
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #35
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleWHunter
nope, not using air tools, good ol' elbow grease for me. I'll see what I'm going to do with the ABS might not do it because I am 90% going to re-gear.
That's the perfect time, to do it. Also eastcoast gear supply will sell you one for $30
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #36
KyleWHunter
1996 ZJ 

Now is the perfect time to do it? or when I re-gear?
Unread 03-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #37
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBoy1991 View Post

And if you want the ABS to work with your jeep, take out that gear with all the teeth on it and grind every other one off then reinstall it. BUT that would require setting up the ring and pinion all over again.
That does not work
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #38
KyleWHunter
1996 ZJ 

hmmm, by looking at the pic you posted of your work, I'm assuming you cut [U]Everything[U] off?
Unread 03-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #39
KyleWHunter
1996 ZJ 

Painted the diff. cover and grinded the brackets off, also got the rust off looks pretty good now gotta paint and weld now!
img_1454.jpg   img_1455.jpg  
Unread 03-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #40
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan

That does not work
Worked perfect on mine....
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #41
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBoy1991 View Post
Worked perfect on mine....
Yea, I didnt really care to save the ABS, it worked good on the street so I tried the mod to keep it working. I will say every now and then the ABS light wont come on but most of the time the light comes on at start up or within the first couple feet of moving. I even tried switching the wires thinking I might have got the polarity off. As far as the wiring goes did you just hook the Jeep sensor wires together (same color to same color) and then to Ford sensor?

My intentions were keeping the ABS working but putting a toggle switch in to turn it off when needed. I wonder why mine didnt accept the mod. I read where other people did the mod but I never heard anyone confirm it actually worked.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #42
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
Yea, I didnt really care to save the ABS, it worked good on the street so I tried the mod to keep it working. I will say every now and then the ABS light wont come on but most of the time the light comes on at start up or within the first couple feet of moving. I even tried switching the wires thinking I might have got the polarity off. As far as the wiring goes did you just hook the Jeep sensor wires together (same color to same color) and then to Ford sensor?

My intentions were keeping the ABS working but putting a toggle switch in to turn it off when needed. I wonder why mine didnt accept the mod. I read where other people did the mod but I never heard anyone confirm it actually worked.
That's exactly what I did, same color jeep wires together, then to the Ford wire. I soldered everything, no splice connectors and then heat shrink with plastic protector over the top.

I would say you may have a voltage issue with your inline switch, or just not enough connection to read back(reason I soldered), or a faulty ABS Sensor.

I don't really know why it would work for one and not the other if done the same way. Seems to me, maybe some are grinding into the neighboring teeth they're wanting to keep, or not taking the one out enough? I spent some extra time on mine, even hand filing the edges, deburring, and polishing the entire thing up prior to re-installing it. Hell I actually drove for a week with the ABS unhooked. Did the connection on the wires and the light went out on the dash AND it functions properly. Tested that in my gravel driveway.

I do know Jeep changed/upgraded their ABS system in 96 so that could have something to do with it too?????
Unread 03-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #43
KyleWHunter
1996 ZJ 

I just took the sensor off, might leave it that way dunno. This is a lot more work then I had originally thought, lol oh well it's all worth it in the end right, can't die with the money might as well enjoy it. In the thought process of getting 4.56 for it now and installing a locker, only problem is I don't know what kind to get. The Aussie lockers are looking pretty expensive so I'm trying to stay away from them... I don't want to buy one and realize I'm SOL b/c it wont fit right either... Time to look at someones rig on youtube!
Unread 03-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #44
KyleWHunter
1996 ZJ 

just want a couple opinions how does this look for the rear
Ring&Pinion- http://www.rustysoffroad.com/motive-...-set-4-56.html
Overhaul Kit- http://www.rustysoffroad.com/motive-...-ford-8-8.html
Locker- http://www.rustysoffroad.com/lock-ri...-ford-8-8.html
Any criticism let me know! Also if I'm missing anything!
Unread 03-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #45
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleWHunter View Post
just want a couple opinions how does this look for the rear
Ring&Pinion- http://www.rustysoffroad.com/motive-...-set-4-56.html
Overhaul Kit- http://www.rustysoffroad.com/motive-...-ford-8-8.html
Locker- http://www.rustysoffroad.com/lock-ri...-ford-8-8.html
Any criticism let me know! Also if I'm missing anything!
That's all VERY HIGH IMO, get in touch with Kolak, I re-did mine with G2 gears, G2 seals, Timken bearings and didn't pay near what you're going to with those prices. I had an upgraded factory style LSD to go in mine so I didn't have to worry with locker, but I think i've seen those for around the 250 mark before...maybe not for the 8.8 though...

Anyway, hook up with Kolak, he's a member/vendor here and can beat ANYBODY on pricing and you'll get the really good stuff.

One other thing you'll need to do...when using the 4.56s you're going to have to set your ring gear to a position where you have to grind off the inner corner for the cross pin to clear. It will take a bit, but you only have to affect 1 single tooth on the gear and you don't remove very much, just barely enough to get clearance for the cross pin to go thru. There's plenty of post on here and google about doing this. The G2 guys even told me how to do this, and recommended it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.