Oscillation or Death Wobble caused by cheap parts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oscillation or Death Wobble caused by cheap parts

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 03-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
tazz001

Oscillation or Death Wobble caused by cheap parts

Hey Ya'll

I just purchased a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo has the 5.2 with full time 4x4. Dana 30 front and rear, about on 180k. Has stock rims with 235/65/15s. I bought this from my parents after they owned it a year but never really used it, it was a back up vehicle. My father replaced the drag link because the ball joint on the end was bad, he purchased this from Advance Auto. After this they experienced a wobble, but it happened very rarely.

On my first trip with it down to drill I experienced a Death Wobble, it was so bad it bent the front drag link. After drill I decided screw it, I'll drive it home. As soon as I hit the highway I went over a bridge and it wobbled and snapped the drag link in half.

Unfortunately I lost all steering and ended up in the median. Not having triple AAA I began searching for a tow to my home 3 hours away. I could not find one, the police did not deem me an emergency since I was not technically wrecked or blocking traffic. So there I sat all night...

My father showed up the next morning with a new drag link from Advance Auto, we replaced it and I made it almost all the way home before experiencing another violent shake, that again bent the new drag link. I managed to limp it home and began searching for the cause.

Replaced the right side upper and lower ball joints, cv axle, and hub.
To my surprise this still didn't fix the problem. Everything appears tight, no bad bushing or ball joints.

My steering stabilizer; it has pressure, but is leaking. I will be replacing that, and the bearing on the bottom of steering box has some play in them as well.

My question to ya'll is:
Could the aftermarket drag links I've been receiving from Advance be causing this wobble. Even with bad ball joint on the end of the drag link this Jeep didn't have this problem until the drag link was replaced.

You might be able to get a laugh outta my bad luck:

tazz001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
Grand93Cherokee
1993 ZJ 

Check the trac bar. Lay under the front and have someone turn the wheel lock to lock while you watch the steering components. Check for any unnecessary or extra movement.

There is an article on DW under the FAQs in the stickies.
Unread 03-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
tazz001

Will try turing lock to lock, I've looked under it for loose components with it on the ground and with it jacked up and the front axle hanging.
I tried to post on the one in the stickies after reading it but it's locked and I did not see anything in it about cheap steering components.
Thanks for the quick reply!
Unread 03-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
cekmgreen
1998 ZJ 

aren't you missing something right to the right of your stabilizer shock??
cekmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Like where the drag link broke in half as he mentioned in his 1st post? Lol, but not all that funny if it breaks when driving it.

Curious tazz001 if the below drag links are the ones you've bought? The description is just the opposite as what happened to you and want to know which one to stay away from. Noticed there's no reviews.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/d...Term=drag+link

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
cekmgreen
1998 ZJ 

just pointing out the obvious lol how'd you break it i have bent a couple but wow
cekmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekmgreen View Post
just pointing out the obvious lol how'd you break it i have bent a couple but wow
Probably cheap Chinese steel.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Trackbar. Bushing is either shot or the mount hole on the axle end is wallowed out or it's loose.

Steering stabilizer has nothing to do with this issue.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 07:37 AM   #9
tazz001

Yeah the drive works drag link is the one I've purchased from Advance.

I will pull the track bar today and visually check the bushings.

The bar just snapped when I was going on an overpass that brought out the wobble.

The wobble seems to stem from the right side, and my buddy said it looked like my wheel became egg shaped when it happened if front of him. The search still continues...
Unread 03-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Just replace the track bar and be done with it. Next, look at the driver's side track bar frame mount itself. Tighten those vertical bolts....because they probably came loose during DW. Next, look inside your driver's side fender well. See those nuts near the spring? Tighten them.

Now, lay under it and check the tie rod ends and steering box while someone turns the steering wheel.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.