Options for replacing plenum gasket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Options for replacing plenum gasket

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
donha1mn
1998 ZJ 

Options for replacing plenum gasket

So my 5.9 has the dreaded and commom blown plenum gasket. It pings at about 1/2-3/4 throttle and I opened the TB and there's a puddle of oil in it. Between my rear main seal leak and this Im losing about a qt of oil every 3-4 weeks. I want to weigh my options for getting this fixed probably within the next month or so.

1. Probaly the least expensive and more reasonable option is to follow the FAQ writeup and just replace the gasket.

2. Get this from hughes engines and replace Hughes Engines or something similiar from APS Precision.

3. Get either an M1 intake or a ported keg.

4. Or I can just leave it as it is and call it a hybrid cause it'll burn oil and gas .

Just kidding, but what do you think is the best way about approaching this issue and getting it taken care of properly? Pros and cons of each? Thanks in advance.

98 5.9 ZJ: 4.5" IRO + 1" spacers w/IRO front adjustable long arms and rear adjustable CAs, IRO OTK steering, KOR steering brace, JKS quick disconnects, IRO belly skid, Bilsteins, 33x12.5x15 Duratracs on MT sidebiters, ARB bumper w/ WARN M8000 and 2 55W Hella Black Magic, JCR stage 2 sliders, Bushwackers, AEM CAI, Kolak Ignition Upgrade, 3" Kolak exhaust w/Flowmaster 44

In the garage: 8.8 w/4.10s and LSD, Artec 8.8 swap kit and truss

My 5.9 BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1095938/

RIP TROY
RIP RATMONKEY
donha1mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Ouch , I paid $80 for my Hughes Plate less than a yr ago . Shop around .

I just used a fel-pro gasket on my 5.2 , and anaerobic gasket maker . Worked fine for the past 3 yrs .

M-1's are expensive , I'm still debating the price vs performance

Don't leave it , it will ruin the engine by clogging the rings and probably the cat too .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
donha1mn
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
Ouch , I paid $80 for my Hughes Plate less than a yr ago . Shop around .

I just used a fel-pro gasket on my 5.2 , and anaerobic gasket maker . Worked fine for the past 3 yrs .

M-1's are expensive , I'm still debating the price vs performance

Don't leave it , it will ruin the engine by clogging the rings and probably the cat too .
Im not really leaning towards the M1. From what I've read they are built more for speed and lose low end torque.

Looks like I should have bought the hughes kit then, they're $120 now.

Yea I'm not going to leave it, I want to get it taken care of by the end of the month at the very latest.
98 5.9 ZJ: 4.5" IRO + 1" spacers w/IRO front adjustable long arms and rear adjustable CAs, IRO OTK steering, KOR steering brace, JKS quick disconnects, IRO belly skid, Bilsteins, 33x12.5x15 Duratracs on MT sidebiters, ARB bumper w/ WARN M8000 and 2 55W Hella Black Magic, JCR stage 2 sliders, Bushwackers, AEM CAI, Kolak Ignition Upgrade, 3" Kolak exhaust w/Flowmaster 44

In the garage: 8.8 w/4.10s and LSD, Artec 8.8 swap kit and truss

My 5.9 BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1095938/

RIP TROY
RIP RATMONKEY
donha1mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Hughes kit or have a local fabrication shop make one.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
EBT531
1998 ZJ 

I just went thru this and decided on the Hughes Kit with FelPro gaskets. Installed no issues.

The other intakes lose low end torque which is not what I wanted

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.