optimizing off road brakeing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > optimizing off road brakeing

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 09-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
pageman
1995 ZJ 

optimizing off road brakeing

ok i have wheeled for some time and most of my rigs where non abs which is what you want when you are off road. when i was doing 45mph in my jeep and hit the brakes to test how soon it would stop i felt the peddle pulsating and some wheel lock(more than is allowed on street) so it feels like the jeep recognizes dirt but like off road rigs and motor cycles they stop better on dirt with the wheels locked because abs' nature will not allow any lock so in theory i can keep the pedal on the floor and it wont stop by its own means (gravity and friction is what slows me when off gas not my brakes)

so what i figured was maby i can remove the abs' fuse when on dirt and plug it in when on road but i don't want to risk burning an abs module. is there an easy way to do this other than remove a fuse? oddly enough when i sling mud full throttle after doing it so many times the abs light comes on and the abs disables its self but when i turn the car off and on it re-enables itself

pageman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

On my 95 I removed the abs relay. Brakes worked much better in all occasions.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

If I'm not mistaken, if you don't exceed 15mph, the ABS never turns on so to speak. I know that a lot of Fords and chevys are this way, never really experimented with a Jeep. Dunno about you, but when I'm offroad, I'm generally just chugging along, unless it's a known trail that's pretty smooth, then I haul a cross between a horse and a donkey......
Unread 09-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
pageman
1995 ZJ 

yah the most i will do on my usual trails is 40 on a perfect day. i just wanted the option of disabling the abs with out damage
pageman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.