opinions on non oem fan clutches. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > opinions on non oem fan clutches.

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

opinions on non oem fan clutches.

Got any just wondering what to expect from my napa fan clutch it does say made in usa. I noticed it was very stiff while turnimg it. Also it has an r with an arrow pointing counter clock ways whats that for?

Unread 07-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Just a guess on the"r". The 4.0 has a reverse rotation water pump, so it needs a reverse rotation fan clutch. Fan clutches are supposed to be stored vertically, not horizontally or it screws with fluid inside or something like that. Whats the ambient temp you are trying to turn it in? B.C. cool right now? The ambient affects the bimetal spring which opens or closes a orifice to the fluid. If its pretty cool there it shouldn't be overly stiff I would think. Of course if its a hayden heavy clutch it may be stiff because they stay engaged longer and sound like a diesel bus fan. If the fins are alot taller on the clutch its probaly a hayden reboxed for napa.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

About 25degrees Celsius atm
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

At 77 degrees I wouldn't think it would be overly stiff but like I said it may be a hvy dty clutch.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Ok I lied its 30 Celsius
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Its a good bit cooler than florida.

Unread 07-31-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

so will it be running more often now? cause right now i never hear it running. and that being said will it use more gas and take more hp away?
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

ok so its got simular numbers as a hayden mine says 27961999. the hayden i was seeing had 27961977 on it could this be a hayden?
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

here are some pics.
20130731_165906.jpg

20130731_165921.jpg

Unread 07-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

It looks like one sure enough. Try it. See, on my 98 the clutch is no longer available since it was a one year shot. Most likely they changed the clutch specifications because they dropped the external trans cooler unless you had hvy dty cooling or towing or some such. As a preventative move I changed mine out to the hayden. Yep it ran longer and jeez it was loud. I put my original back on. Don't know if there are even more choices available for the 94 or the 98. Seemed like I saw a company called tempatrol that made fan clutches but I don't know about the quality. I just pulled spares out of the jy and store them vertically.

Unread 07-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Just took it for a spin and it only ran for about 1 min or so and I heard it tone down. I swear I never heard my fan turn on ever. When I took the old one off I saw red paint on it like what a scrap yard would do.
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Good! Hope it stays that way.

Unread 08-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #13
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Glad it's working for you! Is it not so tight and turns easier by hand now? It's my understanding when you install a new fan clutch you have to rev it up/drive it a bit to heat it up and distribute the silicone oil throughout the clutch cavity.

In doing some searching late last night I ran into an interesting non-Jeep forum thread where some where changing the silicone oil in good/working fan clutches to different viscosities. They were doing this depending if they wanted the clutch to kick on less when cold and more when hot. The products they were using was a "CST silicone oil" with "differential" on the label bought from hobby stores.

I'm not suggesting you try this on a new fan clutch where it may leak from the seal but just thought it was interesting.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

I bought a "severe duty" for my '04 Durango a couple years ago. May as well have not had a clutch because it wouldn't turn off for anything. Exhcanged it and the new one was the same way. Maybe once/twice a week my ZJ's clutch will be engaged in the morning until the first time I go over 2k RPM then it quits.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Its pretty tight when I turn it by hand much tighter than the old one untill its warmed up then it loosens up

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.