opinion on a 4 in. lift. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > opinion on a 4 in. lift.

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 01-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
RompinRage
1998 ZJ 

opinion on a 4 in. lift.

Hello everyone I'm new to the site I am looking into lifting my 1998 zj. I already have the BB lift on there and up country suspension. I wanted to know if anyone has good or bad info on the rough country 4" x-flex series lift. I saw the lift right below this one that RC offers but it doesn't have adjustable arms. Also whats the best price anyone has seen on the x series lift? Or if anyone knows of a comparable lift for the price range.. best quote for the lift itself that I have received is $780.00. Any info would be great, thanks!

RompinRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Mckeonm
1995 ZJ 

I had the 3.5 inch RE Superflex lift for 5 years and it did really well for me. The only issues I had with it (and I am sure it is not specific to RE) is the rear track bar relocation mounting bracket. I replaced it 2 or 3 times.
Mckeonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
PopperM5
1994 ZJ 

Welcome to the forum. You will find anything that you want to know about ZJ's here. I did so much research when I started looking at lifting mine and went with IRO and love it.
PopperM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #4
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

RCs flex joints don't seem to be worth the trouble and I'm currently looking at replacing these ends with Currie stuff. They wear out pretty fast and even if they provide replacements for free, replacing them over and over is not in my future. Best advice I can give you is to plan out what you really want to do, then get it done once. Lifting ZJs can get very expensive really fast especially when you end up doing this twice. Under 2" is cheap, 3-4.5" complete lift will run around $1000. Above 4.5" requires long arms or a major sacrifice in drive-ability on road.
Unread 01-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

ZONE has a 4" lift that looks pretty nice. Comes with new lower control arms, shocks, springs.

I'm torn or weather to do the 3.5 IRO kit or the 4" Zone. From the reviews I was able to find about the Zone kit, they all seem to be fairly positive.

Maybe someone running that Zone kit will chime in with some updated feedback.

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Zone looks to be good, and a friend runs the 4.5" on his XJ. Main issue is although it has replacement lower control arms, you're still going to need front and rear adjustable trackbars. You may get away for a little time running a bracket on the rear, but they're not going to hold up long offroad. Count on spending over $300 for both trackbars. In addition, you'll probably need to replace bushings on the upper control arms (or just get replacement adjustable arms $$$.)

It's very tough to find a good compromise when lifting the ZJ. If you want a new 4" + lift and want it to drive decent, you're going to spend upwards of $1000. You can shortchange this all you want, but in the long run you'll only spend more. I inherited a fairly decent Rough Country lift that's on my 5.9. I've since replaced shocks ($280,) sway bar bushings ($20,) added a double sheer front trackbar from IRO ($180) and still need to replace lower control arm X-Flex joints ($180.) I'm approaching $700 on upgrades for a short arm lift. If my uppers go out (and they probably will) then I'll need to add another $180 for more currie JJs.
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrod72 View Post
Zone looks to be good, and a friend runs the 4.5" on his XJ. Main issue is although it has replacement lower control arms, you're still going to need front and rear adjustable trackbars. You may get away for a little time running a bracket on the rear, but they're not going to hold up long offroad. Count on spending over $300 for both trackbars. In addition, you'll probably need to replace bushings on the upper control arms (or just get replacement adjustable arms $$$.)

It's very tough to find a good compromise when lifting the ZJ. If you want a new 4" + lift and want it to drive decent, you're going to spend upwards of $1000. You can shortchange this all you want, but in the long run you'll only spend more. I inherited a fairly decent Rough Country lift that's on my 5.9. I've since replaced shocks ($280,) sway bar bushings ($20,) added a double sheer front trackbar from IRO ($180) and still need to replace lower control arm X-Flex joints ($180.) I'm approaching $700 on upgrades for a short arm lift. If my uppers go out (and they probably will) then I'll need to add another $180 for more currie JJs.
I know I've add this up so many ways and lost sleep late at night ....lol

I talked 1ABrian in the office over here, into buying the IRO 3.5 springs for his ZJ (after a bad BB pack experience), and I have to say it rides really, really nice. I love it.

The magic number with ZJ seems to be 3.5" before it's another whole new can of works.

That 4" Zone is so tempting though. That with a nice set of 32's would look awesome.

Brian has the IRO springs with our OE 8 piece control arm kit. It's very street friendly. This is the control arm kit we carry, just kinda thinking out loud and possible idea for you to keep cost down. http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ChassisSusp...ampaign=1ATony

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Tony, I appreciate the link. This is a very good price for all 8 replacement control arms. I assume these will work well on anything from stock to around 3.5" right?

I've not ordered anything yet since I'm still deciding what to do. Kinda hate RC right now for shipping a crappy product really. The arms are good but the flex joints suck. For magic number on ZJ 3.5" can be had with a rear bracket and front trackbar (or one can drill the hole in the front but the axle will not stay centered for very long once springs sag - not to mention you only get one chance to drill the new trackbar hole.) IMHO, 4~4.5" seems to be where you have to start changing out control arms for adjustables to get the caster in check. Anything taller than 4.5" should just be long arm due to the ZJs design.
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
1ABrian
1997 ZJ 

Hey guys, I installed the 3.5 coils from IRO. Great springs, good customer service and quick shipping. Reason? WARRANTY on these springs against saggage. NOBODY like a saggy Heep. I also made my own 1" t case drop to eliminate vibes and installed the 1A Auto 8 piece control arms AND front axle CA bushings. NOTE TO SELF: dont replace if not needed. What a PITA. Mine wern't even bad but with 250K I figured do them while I was there. If anyone needed foul language lessons, my garage was tutoring that evening
SHOP HERE: Jeep Parts
1ABrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
RompinRage
1998 ZJ 

Decisions, decisions!! Thank you for the input everyone... Ill do some more researching.
Thanks, PopperM5 yes there is a lot of great info here. I love it!
RompinRage is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.