"Open CKT" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > "Open CKT"

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
sethwag
1994 ZJ 

"Open CKT"

So I've been attempting to solve the miscellaneous gremlins associated with my 94 ZJ (5.2MPI) and have had some intermittent success, however I have been really frustrated with the same old "coolant sensor" and "4wd switch" issues. I did replace "a" coolant sensor (right behind the alternator) and seemed to have a short period of success with that until the VIC alert returned to torment me. I also have the "constant chime" problem that I can't seem to rid the jeep of. I figured that maybe when I had resolved both issues the constant chime would stop, however that seems to not be the case. After researching JF pretty thoroughly I've come to the conclusion that it has to be a cracked solder somewhere within the VIC back panel (pin#5). I know this has been revisited time and time again, however I merely and respectfully was wondering if this is indeed the solution to all three of these issues.

On a seperate note, I also am seeing a "Open CKT" alert on the VIC when I perform the "holding the set and select buttons while turning ignition on". Is this further indication of a solder issue or circuit problem within the ZJ's sensor system?

Thanks for any and all insight!

94 ZJ laredo
5.2MPI V8
almost completely factory and stock (in the family for 3 generations)

sethwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Toss the vic or get another one. They are not reliable. Put some switches in there or a storage cubby instead.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

The VIC is a computer for people who don't know anything about cars and take them to the stealership. Take out the VIC. Its 6 screws and 2? clips to get the trim off around it. Then its 3 more screws and a wire harness to get the thing off. I took mine out, made it a nice cubby for my iTouch so it stays out of the cup holder! (wish I could find the picture) but i took out the screen and circuit board, took a dremmel to the plastic, and neatly matted the inside with Gorilla Duct Tape. You can also buy something else similar but I have no idea where?
ZJNewbi3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

The coolant sensor its complaining about is in the overflow bottle, not on the motor.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
sethwag
1994 ZJ 

Thanks Ratmonkey, I've come across that discrepancy in research on these forums, the sensor on the intake was infact snapped in half so it needed replacement either way, I will look into the overflow container as well and see what happens. I want to keep the vehicle as factory as possible, also unfortunately I'm on of those people who don't know anything about cars, so I kinda need all the help I can get. Besides if I did know everything I wouldn't be on JF....
sethwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Then we are all here to help just as a warning though you will get false messages. Mine threw the 4WD switch too even tho it was brand new.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.