Only hot air blows out vents - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Only hot air blows out vents

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 08-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
GazzaHammo

Only hot air blows out vents

Hi there,

I have been trying to search my exact issue but having troubles...

I have a ZG Grand Cherokee here in Australia, great 4wd!

My aircon was regassed and I know the compressor kicks in. The problem I have is whatever setting I use on the HVAC all I get is hot hot air!

The climate control unit all seems to work fine. I can direct the 'hot' air to anywhere around the car, turn the fan up and down etc.

My research suggests the blend door but normally they get stuck 'closed' so NO hot air comes through...but I seem to have the opposite!

Any thoughts from the experts out there?

Thank you in advance!

Gazza

Last edited by GazzaHammo; 08-17-2013 at 11:31 PM..
GazzaHammo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Is it the auto climate control with the digital readout? When the A/C is running are the lines going to and from the compressor cold and have condensate on them?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Sounds like your heater is working great!!
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:13 AM   #4
GazzaHammo

Ok I have the auto climate control with digital readout. AC line is cold to touch.

I tried to run the diagnostics on the ATC and the only error code I get is 23.

I then run the manual tests and the blend door motor system says 04 which means "in position". I also held the A/C button down for 3 secs which should reinitialise the system...which then goes to "--".
The next test say 45 with the front and down arrows pointing to stickman. I can adjust that number higher or lower using the A/C and Recirc buttons...to no effect.
The blend door motor lines test says 02 meaning "toward hot". Well duh!

So after all that maybe the blend door motor just isn't moving?
I don't know, my head hurts after now.

Any other thoughts besides ripping into the blend door area?
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

If the ac line is cold to the touch and the clutch comes on then it is the actual controls themselves that are bad. It's common. I had the same problem. A retired Chrysler tech looked at it for me and we came to this conclusion. He said that more often than not it's the control. On the WJ the blend door is more common. Replace the climate controls in the dash. I don't know what your junk yards look like there but I replaced mine with a junk yard unit.

You may be able to re set it by unhooking the battery for a while then re connecting it. Sometimes that gets it to work again temporarily.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
GazzaHammo

I have disconnected the battery for about 30mins but no difference once reconnected.

Not sure I could find another control unit...might try ebay I guess.

Every other function works great, all the vents, fans etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.