OMG suddenly no oil pressure ! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > OMG suddenly no oil pressure !

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 02-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
a70eliminator
1998 ZJ 

OMG suddenly no oil pressure !

Went to zero on my way home from work today!
95 318 with 140k my primary ride, always had good pressure high side of 40 on guage, motor been trouble free for entire 10 years i've had it.
I'm not sure when it failed during my 12mi trip home, but I certainly babied it throwing it in neutral coasting at idle whenever possible all the way home. When I got home and stepped out of vehicle could hear the top end valve train chattering already, shut motor off and checked oil and it was close to full, engine temp was normal the whole time but i can tell from the sound that She's not getting oil.
I can't imagine what happened so sudden, it has been very cold, about 10 degrees last couple of days.
Going to let it cool for an hour or so and go back out and start it up and see if any pressure comes back, could the oil pump drive have sheared from the distributor?
I was about 3 miles from home when I noticed the oil gauge at ZERO and babied it from there all the way home.

a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

Not likely to have sheared the oil pump drive shaft, that's a more common problem on Fords with a 5/16" shaft as opposed to your 3/8" shaft.

If you've not been real good about regular oil changes the most common cause is the oil pickup getting clogged with sludge. You'll know for sure when you drop the oil pan and pull the pump off to inspect them.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
a70eliminator
1998 ZJ 

Thanks, I change oil at least 3 times a year regardless of miles, this is the first time in my life to have a motor drop out oil pressure, I hope not to have damaged the motor. I love this jeep it's like part of me and I'm sick about looser her.
Unread 02-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

What brand of oil filter are you using? On the good ones there's a by-pass valve built into the filter if it becomes clogged but not sure if this comes on the cheaper ones?

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Don't jump into the deep end yet. Check your oil pressure switch. Verify that you really have no oil pressure before you worry about anything in the engine. The switch is a cheap part and takes 5 min to change with the proper tools.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
a70eliminator
1998 ZJ 

Ok this is really really weird. So it's definately not the gauge or sending unit, if that was the case (believe me it was the first thing i thought of too) then the motor would not have started clanking and chattering like it was.

Anyhow, now and hour later she's cooled off considerably and i go out and start the engine, oil is still about zero with seriously chattering valve train, i shut off engine, pause a couple seconds and start it right back up again, this time oil is still zero motor chattering when suddenly pressure shoots right back up to the normal 40-45 lbs and engine instantly quiets down and sounds normal once again, I shut it down and restarted two or three times and all is back to normal again, 45psi smooth sounding valve train, WTH!

It aint going anywhere until I change the oil and filter (and a good flush with something?) thats all i can do at this point. I'M NOT CRAZY! I know my engine and it was not getting oil pressure and sounded terrible, now it's all good again!

Ken I think you nailed it with the pickup getting fouled with sludge it"s the best explanation I can agree with, but I do religious changes but before me who knows how it was handled.
Unread 02-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #7
firsttimeZJ13
1995 ZJ 

I would drop the oil pan to make sure there isn't anything in the pan that could have blocked the pickup tube if changing oil doesn't fix. Good luck!
Unread 02-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #8
a70eliminator
1998 ZJ 

It's been stupid cold lately and the worst is yet to come, into the minus teens this weekend, I'm going to park it and share the wifes car for now.
Unread 02-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #9
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Will one of those fiber-optic inspection cameras be able to "penetrate" the oil-pan through the drain-plug hole? If so, maybe you can get a look at the pick-up screen with one, without having to drop the pan? I've never used one, so I don't know their limitations. Good luck.
MrRoundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2015, 07:33 PM   #10
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Could simply be the oil pump went bad. Had it happen on my YJ. Swapped the pump and everything was good.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 06:20 AM   #11
a70eliminator
1998 ZJ 

This is what I'm thinking happened.
Being the frigid temps we have been seeing @ -6 the oil pressure relief spring comes into play, I think the oil is like syrup even though yes I use 10w30, but still the oil is thick at -6.
Then once the engine and oil came up to operating temperature the relief spring may have stuck in the open position causing the oil to short circuit into the pan. maybe a turd of dirt or something stuck the relief valve.
Anyhow until it warms up She's out of commission.
Unread 02-13-2015, 06:27 AM   #12
firsttimeZJ13
1995 ZJ 

That cold of weather, I would be running a lower weight oil, around 0w30ish. I would Chang the oil like you said and see what happens.
Unread 02-13-2015, 07:18 AM   #13
a70eliminator
1998 ZJ 

Right on, it's just been unusually frigid this week, I changed oil in the fall and usually use 10w30 sometimes 10w40. average temps. this time of year is 35 degrees.
Unread 02-13-2015, 10:49 AM   #14
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I realize when I suggested a clogged oil filter it was pretty far-fetched but have had something stuck in my mind since I was a 16-17 year old kid.

I worked at a full-service Humble gas station in our neighborhood and changed oil in addition to pumping gas. Those were the real olden days when we cleaned windshields, checked tire pressure, checked oil/coolant, topped the windshield washer fluid off for free, and gave out a free set of steak knives with a fill-up. Lol.

A real big guy came into the station who was a friend of my brothers and HS football player. He had a brand new 68 Plymouth Roadrunner with a 426 hemi with dual 4-barrels and wanted us to do his very first oil change. My boss turned it over to me and while a little nervous I changed his oil/filter.

He drove it 5 miles down the road, kicked the hemi in, and the engine blew! He got a ride back to the station and was ready to kick my a$$ when the station owner stepped between us. The owner said we'll get to the bottom of what went wrong. Turned out it was a bad/clogged station chain brand filter and the company bought him a brand new hemi engine!

Know I've mentioned this story before but just hard to get out of my mind...

Hope you can just get any dirt/gunk flushed out of your oil pump and have it back on the road again soon! Good luck.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 11:11 AM   #15
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Sorry, even though I read it the post twice I somehow missed the line where you heard the valve train rattle.. I really need to get new glasses.
Anyway, do an oil change and use 5w30, that's what I run in the winter, and see if the noise persists. Hopefully that's all it takes. It would suck if it were anything past an oil pump because well, Jeep, we all know they aren't cheap.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.