old subject new questions...ZJ electric fan conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > old subject new questions...ZJ electric fan conversion

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 12-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
abswa
1998 ZJ 

old subject new questions...ZJ electric fan conversion

Hey y'all,

I've been contemplating the ZJ electric fan conversion for a while now after going through 3 fan clutches and 3 water pumps over the last 5 yrs.

From what I understand, the conversion using the parts from a 98 5.9 is the best, but also the most expensive. So obviously the Taurus conversion appeals a little bit more to me.

Here are my hick-ups:

a) I would like to do this conversion with a temp sensor in place so the fan runs automatically and

b) all the diagrams I saw require to some electrical connection to the AC compressor.

My AC has not been working ever since I got my ZJ ( the clutch engages if you power the leads at the compressor, but the switch in the dash won't do that ... the switch in the dash for the AC wont do anything at all except turn on the little green LED) and I neglected the AC anyway because I never use it. Maybe it is time to take the compressor out altogether, install a shorter belt and get a little better mpg.

So my big thing now is: Has anybody done a conversion which utilized the Taurus fan, used some sort of temp sensor to activate it automatically when needed and has anybody done this without any connection to the AC compressor.

Thank to y'all for all your help.

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #516[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
abswa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

Item # 170288559565 on eBay. Get this, it's all you need.
Unread 12-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
abswa
1998 ZJ 

Thx for the link. I just saw something in your signature: LED dash lights?
[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #516[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
abswa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

Ya, blue LEDs for my intrument cluster, looks great. Same as these: Item # 200292553893 eBay
Unread 12-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
Kolak
Vendor

I had that Flex-A-Lite fan on my 1993 ZJ V8 and it didn't cool properly on hot summer days. The shroud does not cover all of the radiator core is the reason. I ended up sliding it all the way to the passenger side of the radiator core and mounting a 12" pusher fan behind the grille in front of the driver's side of the radiator. Cooled fine after that but the 5.9 fan setup still works quite a bit better.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

Yeah I tried to find a 5.9 fan assembly but had no luck at the junkyards or online. For the price, the Flex-a-lite is perfect for my needs.

Where are good places online to find a 5.9 fan BTW?
Unread 12-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
jeepinjoe123
1994 ZJ 

in a like 90-95 ford taurus is the easiest place look up the taurus fan they use the same motor and the shroud fits almost perfect i put one in my trucks with the proper continous duty relays and the fan for under $100 and just have them set-up for switched power haven't forgotten yet and it's been about a year....
1994 JGC limited 5.2l 4in F>R swap 31in. dune grapplers, soft 8's, flowmaster 40 series and duals out the sides, taurus e-fan, high flow intake, 231 swap, 44a swap, NGK plugs, Shell 93 octane only, homemade choppped and drilled light bar, gold>black stripes, in the process of making true cowl induction hood and putting 96-98 cladding, bumper cover, and grill on
jeepinjoe123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Kolak
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldoradoman View Post
Yeah I tried to find a 5.9 fan assembly but had no luck at the junkyards or online. For the price, the Flex-a-lite is perfect for my needs.

Where are good places online to find a 5.9 fan BTW?

If you need a brand new genuine Mopar factory assembly, I offer JeepForum members a 25% discount off dealership prices. That's an expensive part though - Mopar more than doubled the list price about a year ago.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

I've already looked into the Taurus fan swap before I got my Flex-a-lite. The 5.9 fan would be the best option if found for a good price.

The reason I didn't do the Taurus fan swap is because of the extra wiring involved and the much extra current they draw compared to the Flex-a-lite (of course they cool better as a result).
Unread 12-29-2009, 03:36 AM   #10
86rokee
1989 XJ Cherokee 

today my fan whent nuts and shreaded my radiator.so i gotta find a raditator and a fan...
i know all about taurus fans, and i have a 5.0 mustang. the taurus fan draws a buttload of juice at start up, its probably one of the worse fans to use for voltage spikes. us mustang guys have been using and running the taurus fans for years since they do flow alot of cfms but theres a better dual fan out now. FORD CONTOUR ONE PEICE DUAL FAN, low profile and has tabs that. its not well documented as far as how much it flows but it flows plenty and its better than any cheesy ebay fans and will look stock. i have one in my stang with a $20 controller from autozone, no need to hook to the a/c
and the reason for the connection to the a/c is when you have a/c on a normal e fan car the fan kicks on to help cool the motor since the a/c compressor puts a load on the motor.
the contour fan is from a 97ish. theres 2 kinds one is a 2 peice and ones on a sold peice. i know guys run em in wranglers but im not sure how well they will fit the zj. ill have to measure the one on my stang tomorrow. i just hate installing another crap azz clutch fan.this jeep had a brand new 6 month old radiator from the previous owner after the jeep got hit. he didnt put it in quite right, first the tranny line popped off last month then this
heres some pics of the contour fan on my stang. the radiators are about the same general shape. not like the short xj one so i think this might be the best junkyard fan out there. im wanting to do something about the bottom radiator support. i dont like how on the zj the radiator hangs so low and that thin thing barely protects it from getting hit. so i might do some welding while im at it to ad some strength down there. my jeep was hit before i got it and sorta fixed so i have issues to address anyways. i also dont like how the extran trans cooler was all spliced in by the last guy. its some jury rigged crap. heres a link to the torqflo unit im using it has a prob that goes in the upper radiator hose and turns the fan on where you set it. works great and its unde $20AutoZone.com | Relay Kit and Assembly

86 mustang gt
8 prelude si, 5speed, 4 wheel steer

Last edited by 86rokee; 12-29-2009 at 04:55 AM..
86rokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 12:06 AM   #11
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

technically its not the load from the A/C compressor that affects the fan being on or not, its that the condenser in front of the rad needs airflow over it, even if the engine doesn't need cooling. like if you hop in your jeep on a nice 85 degree morning, the engine will be a couple minutes until it needs cooling, but the A/C systems need airflow.

But my question is, how are you controlling the e-fan? is it just on all the time? or on when the water temp gets to a certain point? because i want to put e-fans in my zj, but its a big price difference between a relay and a fan controller
ZJ5point2GCL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #12
gamudslinger88
1998 ZJ 

It all comes in the fan controller. Buy a fan controller kit with the biggest relay you can then take the relay and replace it with a larger one. I am about to walk out the door to go get a fan shroud to hack up to hold my Taurus fan. I will try to take pics throghout the process.
gamudslinger88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 08:07 AM   #13
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamudslinger88 View Post
It all comes in the fan controller. Buy a fan controller kit with the biggest relay you can then take the relay and replace it with a larger one. I am about to walk out the door to go get a fan shroud to hack up to hold my Taurus fan. I will try to take pics throghout the process.
You can't just pop a larger relay in. Most of the time the wiring in those kits it only rated for the current draw of the relay and you'll end up frying your wiring.
Unread 01-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #14
gamudslinger88
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
You can't just pop a larger relay in. Most of the time the wiring in those kits it only rated for the current draw of the relay and you'll end up frying your wiring.
And thats how I like it baby
gamudslinger88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2010, 12:52 AM   #15
DRUMatthias
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldoradoman View Post
I've already looked into the Taurus fan swap before I got my Flex-a-lite. The 5.9 fan would be the best option if found for a good price.

The reason I didn't do the Taurus fan swap is because of the extra wiring involved and the much extra current they draw compared to the Flex-a-lite (of course they cool better as a result).
I gotta say, while I'd actually prefer to simply buy an in-the-box kit & install it, the fact that nearly everyone goes for the Taurus e-fan, about 6" bigger in diameter than the Flexalite makes it a bit tough to swallow that this could work long-term. While the CFMs would clearly be less, I'm a bit amazed that you run this with a 5.9, when the 12" kit's designed specifically for the 4.0 I6...do you use a larger-diameter Flexalite than I've found online? Not sure they make one but figured I'd ask.

The part of this upgrade that keeps me from going through with it tomorrow is the wiring situation. I've never ran anything but speaker wire in a car so that part of it steers me away more than anything...

What's the consensus? Buy the Taurus fan at a junk yard (or a new one with a wiring kit on eBay or some auto site) along with the Napa relays & wires & whatever else...or buy some other after-market fan option. Is there another brand out there besides Flexalite? Also, how much larger is the 5.9 e-fan that came on the '98 Ltd's (or maybe even some Dakotas)? Thanks for the feedback.
DRUMatthias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.