JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   OLD NEWS: Acetone + ATF= awesomeness (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/old-news-acetone-atf-awesomeness-1538125/)

OldManTan 06-18-2013 11:24 AM

OLD NEWS: Acetone + ATF= awesomeness

Been covered on many forums and threads but felt the need to share JUST in case anyone has missed this.

My ZJ has a ton of rust for being a southern California Vehicle. (spent most it's life in huntington beach and the sea air is the devil)

While installing my f-r lift I couldn't remove the rear sway bar links. They were soo rusted that I broke out the cut off wheel and just chopped them off leaving part of the link still bolted in.
We tried everything... heat, PB blaster...would not break loose.
Recently went to home depot and picked up the thickest spray bottle I can find and some acetone and mixed it up 50/50.(owning a jeep, had some ATF laying around) :rofl:
I sprayed the end link and let it sit for an hour. The first attempt was not what I expected as It was still stuck. I got a "cheater" bar and it finally broke loose releasing a red cloud of rust that covered my face and the driveway below.

Anyone who hasn't tried this... def give it a shot.
especially since a complete stranger online says so :wavey::laugh:
/rant...insert cool story bro meme here lol

"Machinist's Workshop" recently published information on various penetrating oils. The magazine reports they tested these products for "break out "torque" on rusted nuts and bolts. A subjective test was made of popular penetrating oils, with the unit of merit being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" bolt. Average torque load to loosen nut:

No Oil used ........................516 foot pounds
WD-40 ..................... ........238 foot pounds
PB Blaster .........................214 foot pounds
Liquid Wrench ......................127 foot pounds
Kano Kroil .........................106 foot pounds
ATF/Acetone mix...................... 53 foot pounds

The ATF/Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50/50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than anycommercial product in this one particular test.
Our local machinist group mixed up a batch, and we all now use it withequally good results. Note also that Liquid Wrench is almost as good asKroil for 20% of the price.ATF/Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a50/50 mix. ATF = Any type of Automatic Transmission Fluid.

This version of the story was in one of the Military Vehicle Club newsletters

Jeeples 06-18-2013 11:46 AM

Interesting, I may try this on the rear sway bar bracket bolts on my wife's WJ. I've been spraying them the past couple days with PB, but this might help speed things along.

OldManTan 06-18-2013 11:57 AM

hope it works. I was skeptical at first, but actually worked when I tried it haha

Martin600 06-18-2013 12:04 PM

I'm surprised diesel isn't in that list, it's pretty good for penetrating stuck nuts and bolts. :)

Certainly, that's always worked for me, my Jeep is the first auto I have driven so I don't have ATF lying around :P

coralman 06-18-2013 05:37 PM

Someone here has used that mix for awhile and swore by it but I can't remember who.

1slo_camaro 06-19-2013 05:53 PM

i will be trying this soon.... i cannot wait to see how it works on my truck that half the bolts havent been touched since '78

Candymancan 06-19-2013 08:42 PM

Question how does the acetone not melt the spray bottle or the plastic tube or nossle... that stuff with melt through almost anything

Afdude88 06-19-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candymancan (Post 15583958)
Question how does the acetone not melt the spray bottle or the plastic tube or nossle... that stuff with melt through almost anything

Acetone comes in things like nail polish remover.....which is a plastic bosttle. Don't think the plastic is much of an issue.

Dana 35c behind a 242, behind an AW-4, behind a 4.0L Inline Six sitting over a Dana 30, all turning stock 215/75/15 tires and moving a 93 Grand Cherokee to places your truck only dreams of.

Candymancan 06-19-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afdude88 (Post 15584023)
Acetone comes in things like nail polish remover.....which is a plastic bosttle. Don't think the plastic is much of an issue.

Dana 35c behind a 242, behind an AW-4, behind a 4.0L Inline Six sitting over a Dana 30, all turning stock 215/75/15 tires and moving a 93 Grand Cherokee to places your truck only dreams of.

That isnt pure acetone tho... Get pure acetone in a metal container pour that on a plastic bottle.. watch it melt

nixer600 06-19-2013 09:26 PM

Thanks will try tomorrow.

96zedjay 06-19-2013 10:48 PM

My old recipe is 1 cup ATF, 1 cup Lacquer thinner, 1 jigger Jim Beam, 2 TBS Tobasco for flavor.
Amazing what you can come up with when ur drinking and wrenchin.

OldManTan 06-20-2013 07:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Candymancan (Post 15584072)
That isnt pure acetone tho... Get pure acetone in a metal container pour that on a plastic bottle.. watch it melt

not entirely true.
Found the thickest spray bottle @ home depot and it is still holding up just fine.

OldManTan 06-20-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96zedjay (Post 15584384)
My old recipe is 1 cup ATF, 1 cup Lacquer thinner, 1 jigger Jim Beam, 2 TBS Tobasco for flavor.
Amazing what you can come up with when ur drinking and wrenchin.

hahahaha

I know there have been a few parts on my jeep accidentally lubed with spilled beer :laugh:

96zedjay 06-20-2013 09:03 AM

The Beam and Tabasco gives it a unique smell when you spray it on something hot. :)
Kinda like Texas BBQ. MMMMM
BTW LT makes a great charcoal starter in a pinch.

The time now is 06:44 PM.