Old Man Emu +2" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Old Man Emu +2"

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 09-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
JMOSS
1999 WJ 

Old Man Emu +2"

I have installed +2" OLD MAN EMU on my WJ 4.7v8 , OME model: light wheight front an medium weight rear.

Is it normal that i have a difference ( rear >front ) that is about 1.3" (3 cm) beetwen front and rear?

More taan 1.000 miles runned with the new coil springs...

tx

99 WJ 4.7V8 Limited QTII , LPG system, 180 Tstat, Magnaflow cat, Up country coil springs, Procomp MX6 shocks absorber, ADDCO swaybars & gresonable bushings, General Grabber AT2 tires, Usa spec pa-chr11 Ipod interface.
JMOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
99avant

Yes, different lift heights to the front and rear are normal. The rear is higher from the factory, so many kits lift the front more to compensate for this.

But it sounds like the rear is higher than the front on yours? This must be because you used the light in the front and the meduim in the rear, those achieve different lift heights.

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
99avant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Check your hub to fender measurements and give us those. That will help to see the difference.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
JMOSS
1999 WJ 

Front from the hub = 85.5 cm = 33.6"
Rear frorm the hub = 88.5 cm = 34.8"

Tires 245/70/16 general grabber at2 - new.....with the old ones, GY Hp all wehater , it was 0.2" less...

Before, with Up country coil springs :

front= 83 cm = 32.6"
rear = 84 cm = 33"

Olm Man EMU sayd this springs is not +2" but + 1.6" - 4 cm
99 WJ 4.7V8 Limited QTII , LPG system, 180 Tstat, Magnaflow cat, Up country coil springs, Procomp MX6 shocks absorber, ADDCO swaybars & gresonable bushings, General Grabber AT2 tires, Usa spec pa-chr11 Ipod interface.
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
txtumbleweed
2000 WJ 

JMOSS - normally folks measure from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the opening of the fender flare. Do this for each corner of the jeep. You should probably be getting something around 19-21 inches.

Your numbers suggest that you got about 1 in front and 1.8 in rear from your previous Upcountry configuration. Considering a UC probably gives you about 1/2 in over stock, I would conclude you got a little short changed. Probably because of Light Load springs in front and medium load springs in rear. You could add a OME 10mm trim packer or 3/4in spacer for a little more perhaps.

Last edited by txtumbleweed; 09-30-2009 at 10:00 AM..
txtumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

And the measurements from OME is for the stock springs probably, not the UpCountry. Those were longer than regular springs.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
JMOSS
1999 WJ 

This mesuraments are from the ground > center ub > opening of the fender flare

we do in this way in italy.....

i'll measure like you do and tomorrow I'll post them

anyway, 1.2" inch of difference is uncontrovertible data, is not real important the eight of the front and of the rear, or not?

stoke difference REAR> FRONT is about 0.4 inch......the same with up country coil springs......

Should be that the OME rear ones need more miles to adjust to the normal eight?
Unread 09-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMOSS View Post
This mesuraments are from the ground > center ub > opening of the fender flare

we do in this way in italy.....

i'll measure like you do and tomorrow I'll post them

anyway, 1.2" inch of difference is uncontrovertible data, is not real important the eight of the front and of the rear, or not?

stoke difference REAR> FRONT is about 0.4 inch......the same with up country coil springs......

Should be that the OME rear ones need more miles to adjust to the normal eight?
Tire size, thread depth, and level of inflation can throw off those readings, that's why we measure center of hub to bottom of fender. Then the tire cannot make any difference.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
Tire size, thread depth, and level of inflation can throw off those readings, that's why we measure center of hub to bottom of fender. Then the tire cannot make any difference.

Um, since the tire is mounted TO the wheel...yes it will make a difference. Unless you make sure all tires are perfectly equal in every way, it doesn't matter how you measure, it'll always be off because of the tires.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Um, since the tire is mounted TO the wheel...yes it will make a difference. Unless you make sure all tires are perfectly equal in every way, it doesn't matter how you measure, it'll always be off because of the tires.
When you measure hub to fender, it doesn't matter if you 100psi or 0 psi in your tire. The hub stays in the same place and tire pressure won't effect it. Yes the jeep may be lower but the spring is what is holding the axle at the height, not the tire.

Go out to your jeep, measure hub to fender. Let all the air out of your tires and measure it again. I bet it is the same.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Unread 09-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
WXman
2001 WJ 

I disagree. If a tire is low on one corner, it's going to cause the suspension to be offset on the opposite side, and especially the opposite corner. That's why a vehicle with a flat tire sags and sits all awkward if you look at it from behind. 0 psi somewhere is going to give you much different readings hub to fender than all tires at 40 psi or whatever.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Yes true but who is measuring the hub to fender with tires varying that much in psi. If they are close, it isn't going to make a that much of a difference. How else would you recommend measuring to figure out lift height?

WJ, WK, CJ5

Unread 09-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #13
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

You put light duty springs in the front of a Jeep with a big *** V8 and then heavier duty springs in the rear. You also had the UC package before so the OME spring wont net the normal amount of height. With the lift configuration you now have the rake was to be expected.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 02:02 AM   #14
JMOSS
1999 WJ 

Ok, here we are.

From tthe hub to the fender:

front 19.45 inch
rear 20.65 inch

no rilevant difference from different corners.

I changed tires two weeks ago, there were always 1.2 inch of differnece......

Last edited by JMOSS; 10-01-2009 at 02:25 AM..
Unread 10-01-2009, 02:10 AM   #15
JMOSS
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_Brown View Post
You put light duty springs in the front of a Jeep with a big *** V8 and then heavier duty springs in the rear. You also had the UC package before so the OME spring wont net the normal amount of height. With the lift configuration you now have the rake was to be expected.
Sorry, not a lot of confidence with language.....Do you thing i have the wrong springs front ?

Consider that the ones who as "obligated" me to use them is OME Italy.
The front OME SPRING mesure correctly, + 1.6 inch respect stoke ones..

Last edited by JMOSS; 10-01-2009 at 02:25 AM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.