old JEEP guy....new ZJ guys - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > old JEEP guy....new ZJ guys

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 06-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
adavis39
2002 WJ 

old JEEP guy....new ZJ guys

whats up guys. Been on the WJ side of things for a long while now. Just retired the WJ as a trail rig only and picked up a 9er as a Daily. Going to be "re-building" her as a stock street queen.......for now Just introducing myself since im never on this side of the forum. Ill be sure to ask plenty of newbie questions along the way. So who wants to tell me how to get better gas mileage?

TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Hey there, I just got myself a 97 ZJ, so I'm new here myself, but I got my feet wet with YJ's. I am also looking into getting my gas mileage up a bit, if I find any tips, I will definitely pass along. That 98 looks great!
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Other than a 5.9 to 4.0 swap, not a whole lot. My 5.2 gets 13 avg, mostly city. Nice niner btw.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj97ltd View Post
Other than a 5.9 to 4.0 swap, not a whole lot. My 5.2 gets 13 avg, mostly city. Nice niner btw.
thanks.....and the gas mileage question was a joke btw. I hope no one buys a 9er with the hopes of good mileage. although it beats the pants off of my WJ with 35's in that department
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Mileage improvments

fix leaky plenum gasket
fit smaller tires
get an SCT Hemifever tuner that has a lower octane rating setting.
get some headers and a 3" exhaust system
park it in the garage
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39 View Post
thanks.....and the gas mileage question was a joke btw. I hope no one buys a 9er with the hopes of good mileage. although it beats the pants off of my WJ with 35's in that department
ah, ok, lol. That was one of my projects with my YJ, I got it up to around 20 MPG highway and when I first got it, it was at around 12. Right now this ZJ is getting around 11 and the build sheet says it came from the factory able to get 23, so I will be looking into what is wrong.
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
98ZJOKC

I can't tell you how to get better gas mileage, but as a 5.9L owner I've learned a trick that might help. Though gas stations sell 89, 91, and 93 octane, many older stations only have two holding tanks. In most states, they can't mix 89 and 93 at the pump and say it's 91, so instead they sell 93 octane through their 91 octane pump. They sell so little 91 that it's not worth the cost for them to tear up the ground to put a separate tank in. If there are inspection stickers on the pumps in your state with +1, +2, -2, etc. That's the number of tablespoons of gas that the pump is off when a certain amount of gas is pumped out by the inspector. If there are numbers only on the 89 and 93 pumps, you've found one of the stations that doesn't really have 91 octane gas. So you can get your 93 octane fuel for the price of 91 octane.
98ZJOKC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.