OKAY, a real 42RE issue for the REAL fanatics! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > OKAY, a real 42RE issue for the REAL fanatics!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 01-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
PhillyBluntz
1995 ZJ 

OKAY, a real 42RE issue for the REAL fanatics!

I have a 95 JGC Laredo with a 4.0 and the 42RE. I have been experiencing some issues with the tranny that have not been posted as far as I've read on several sites.... The trans used to shift fine, after adjusting the throttle cable. Pulled up to a stop and wait just a second, go to take off and first is there. after about a month after adjusting the throttle-trans cable, she starts not wanting to shift down to first so much (especially if she's cold). If this happens, I throw her down to first, take off, go right to OD and everything is good. That was the case for about a week or two, and a couple nights ago, went to the next town over and discovered that even throwing it down in first wouldn't get her to go. seemed like she wanted to start in second... now (another week later) she wants to start in 3'rd... but I HAVE OD, and the TQ will lock telling me (as I have read) that it's not totally in LIMP MODE.... I've ordered the whole kit off transource or whatever and am planning on replacing all the internal sensors/senders, but I could really use some expert advice on this one. I have been mechanic'in since I was 8 and I know my **** when it comes to cars, but this one is different from every other post I've read so far. The only codes on the TX OD light are 24 and 26 (and of coarse the 55) so I figured it had to so with the pressure switch, so I said to hell with it and ordered the whole kit. Not sure what the deal is with the OD light output thing is, cuz the light works when I hit the brakes, but ???
ANY help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!
Thanks in Advance! Phil

PhillyBluntz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

If it will not even downshift in manual 1, you have problems with the band apply servo, low/reverse band, or valve body.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
PhillyBluntz
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
If it will not even downshift in manual 1, you have problems with the band apply servo, low/reverse band, or valve body.
Thanks for the quick reply! Wanted to update.... I was driving home last night and found that if I put it in neutral at lights and went right from N to 1, first would engage 90% of the time, no slipping or funny noises, but as soon as I allowed it to shift out of first, I'd have to do the N to 1 while stopped again to get it to engage first. Just pulling down to 1 from D would engage second, but not first. Now I'm baffeled.

PS This trans has been running Dextron 3 since I bought it and I am wondering if I need to have it power flushed and ATF4 put in?
and Reverse engages Strong, no slipping
Unread 01-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I was under the impression that atf 4 is what should be in the 42re. Dex for the aw4. I wouldn't power flush it you may end up with much worse problems. Just drain and refill. atf-4 is what should be in there.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
PhillyBluntz
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I was under the impression that atf 4 is what should be in the 42re. Dex for the aw4. I wouldn't power flush it you may end up with much worse problems. Just drain and refill. atf-4 is what should be in there.
Absolutely correct! I was under the impression that my trans was an AW4 when I bought it so Dex3 was what I put in. Do you think that just draining and refilling with ATF+4 will help? I was thinking it would be best to get all that Dex3 out and a flush is really the only way I know of to do that.....
Unread 01-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I think it could make a big difference. atf-4 is much more slippery and holds up to sheering much longer. I would just drain it as much as you can. Let it drain overnight then fill it to operating level. I would repeat this a couple of times if you get positive results the first time. There is a way to get all the fluid out if you pull the transmission return line(I think) from the RAD and it will pump out while it is running in neutral. You want to pour fresh fluid in at the same time until you see the new fluid come out of the line then hook it back up and top it off. You have to be careful not to over fill it or get any air in the system though. I would go with just drop the pan and refill. It's easier and cheaper. If that works well then do it again soon after.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
edpmedic
1995 ZJ 

Did the Trans start to shift like that after a Trans fluid change or after the throttle cable was adjusted? Also is there a difference the way the TV is supposed to be adjusted on a AW-4 compared to a 42re adjustment.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Feel the Sunshine on your face
edpmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
PhillyBluntz
1995 ZJ 

Figured it out guys, I replaced the solenoids and transducer, even did a short vid of it, but am not able to post it yet I guess. She's running GREAT!!! Oh, and the accumulator spring was broken in three pieces! Thank God it came in the kit I bought!!! Oh, and the magnet in the bottom of the pan was SHATTERED!!! I found an old hard drive layin around, stripped it down and used the magnets from it after cleaning all the chunks out I could find.

Tags
42re

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.