Okay. My jeep cant go straight. - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By BorderWalker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 01-12-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Ahutch94
1996 ZJ 

Okay. My jeep cant go straight.

So I've got a 96 Zj. 4.0. 2wd. I want to get a 4wd Zj but the one is my baby and don't want to let it go. I'd rather fix it and drive it awhile. My problem is. After recently purchasing jeep. And roommates leaving without warning. I don't have as much money to dump into this as I once did. Basically this thing is all over the road. Pretty much every bushing is shot. And every zirc on the front end won't hold grease. I know it needs a full rebuild. Should I do a bushing kit? Or is there certain parts more crucial that I could replace one at a time? I'm looking for some guidance. Or should I sel it for a thousand bucks and get another jeep? Lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-13-2017, 07:13 AM
BorderWalker
1995 ZJ 

Garage
First and foremost, I'd look at getting an alignment. Any decent alignment shop will tell you what bushings are worn down badly enough to warrant replacement to keep alignment.

As for actual bushngs, the Sway bar end links can do a lot. My Jeep didn't have any connected or even decent when I first bought it. Once replaced, the difference was noticeable, and not just in bodyroll.

After that, if Alignment is still an issue I'd look at CV axles, Wheel Bearing hubs, etc. Focusing on alignment system.

Speaking from Experience, I bought my ZJ for $900. That $900 was saved up over the course of about 4-5 months. I worked a part time, dead end pizza joint job. I could barely get by. But I made it work. You gotta be gentle. Figure out what's the biggest issues and work from there. For me, it was keeping the drive shaft in and replacing brakes to work. It's still a long road for me, but if you could compare how she drove over a year ago at my dead end pizza job to how she is today, it's a world of difference. Sometimes you gotta persist. God knows the number of times I was ready to say F it and start over.
mslevin and jon_deschain like this.

._________.ooooo.
/||\\,____
L/\\__|__|"/\=llllll=\
_())===)).....())===))
post #3 of 3 Old 01-13-2017, 06:25 PM
PoodleHeadMikey

And that sir; is the Spirit that made America great!

Please keep up the good work.

PHM
--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderWalker View Post
First and foremost, I'd look at getting an alignment. Any decent alignment shop will tell you what bushings are worn down badly enough to warrant replacement to keep alignment.

As for actual bushngs, the Sway bar end links can do a lot. My Jeep didn't have any connected or even decent when I first bought it. Once replaced, the difference was noticeable, and not just in bodyroll.

After that, if Alignment is still an issue I'd look at CV axles, Wheel Bearing hubs, etc. Focusing on alignment system.

Speaking from Experience, I bought my ZJ for $900. That $900 was saved up over the course of about 4-5 months. I worked a part time, dead end pizza joint job. I could barely get by. But I made it work. You gotta be gentle. Figure out what's the biggest issues and work from there. For me, it was keeping the drive shaft in and replacing brakes to work. It's still a long road for me, but if you could compare how she drove over a year ago at my dead end pizza job to how she is today, it's a world of difference. Sometimes you gotta persist. God knows the number of times I was ready to say F it and start over.

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.