Okay - The Issues on my "New" ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Okay - The Issues on my "New" ZJ

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 08-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

Okay - The Issues on my "New" ZJ

So this was my last ZJ:

I just picked up a new one last night for $1000. It's a '96 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, auto, NP249 (blah), 99,990 miles, leather, new tires, etc:

I'm not a mechanic, though do 90% of the work on my Jeeps myself, and/or with the help of friends who are mechanics. There are a few mechanical issues which I am not worried about and will fix quickly. A few others I have questions about. The questions are...

-The oil pressure when I started the Jeep last night was at 0. Check gauges light came on. I checked the oil. Level is fine, oil color is great. After physically hitting the gas/driving, the pressure went up to normal operating range. Each time I would let off the gas/stop, the gauge would drop back to 0. I'm assuming this is just the sending unit going bad as they tend to do on a lot of 4.0L applications?

-The steering SUCKS. It's very loose and tracks where it wants, which has to be corrected very often while driving. It's like driving my Trans Am's with large front tires, but it's not "tight" steering. Fairly unresponsive - absolutely nothing like my last ZJ. My assumptions are the steering gear box, hubs, or an alignment. Is that correct?

Any help is much appreciated.

-The statements in this message do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Quadratec, Inc.

-98 ZJ Limited 5.9L - 4.5" lift, 32" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Tomken rocker guards, D44 rear, 3.73's, LSD, 4xDoctor D30 guard, custom projector HID headlights, custom intake, LED lightbar, underdrive pulley, trans vent tube - Wheeler/Bad Weather Rig
-98 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS7 - 5.7L LS1, 6 speed, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat back, Pioneer system - Summer Cruiser
-01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6 - Toy
-03 VW Golf TDI (Diesel) - Commuter
-Former Jeeps: XJ, YJ, XJ, YJ, TJ, ZJ, ZJ
-Rick Rotondo Photography - Nikon D2x, lots of glass, lighting, tri & monopods, and other gear
-FDNY 9/11/01 - All gave some. Some gave all.
PAFirefighter11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

no oil pressure = bad. you can physically test it with a guage, but its easier to replace the sensor for now and see if a new one reads correctly.

your steering can be a few things. gonna have to get under and check. have wife wiggle the wheel back and forth. watch the track bar and see if it moves. any movement = bad. watch both the axle end and frame end.

steering box could be an issue too. if it is, you can tighten the box with the little allen key thing on the top of the steering box. just a little bit though liek 1/4" of a turn. this is a last ditch resort; the box is likely pooched.

also, check for loose tierod ends as well. do this while wifey is doing the 'wiggle' test with the steering wheel.

to test for hubs/balljoints, jack one wheel up at a time and give the wheel a shake with hands at 3 and 9 oclock on teh wheel. there should be no play or 'clunks' if there is, somethings loose.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
ZJMTL
1996 ZJ 

Try a new sending unit. I got one at the JY for 3$
ZJMTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
Dark_Sorrow
1994 ZJ 

I've gone thru two oil pressure senders in 3 years.... and they are only like 40 bucks new. And steering could be a many of things as you know
Dark_Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
veritechc
1995 ZJ 

I had to replace the steering box on my 95 ZJ 5.2 8 cylinder. It was $120 from Autozone and took a couple of hours to put in. You REALLY need to get a handel on the no oil pressure. That will kill a jeep quick.
veritechc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

It definitely has oil pressure. I've driven it a few hundred miles so far and the engine temp is normal, there is no knocking or ticking or anything, so the oil pump is obviously working. I'll grab either a new sending unit from work or something at a yard.

For the steering, I had two of my buddies look at it. Both confirmed it's the steering box that's loose/bad. I'll grab one at a yard as well.

Thanks guys.
-The statements in this message do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Quadratec, Inc.

-98 ZJ Limited 5.9L - 4.5" lift, 32" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Tomken rocker guards, D44 rear, 3.73's, LSD, 4xDoctor D30 guard, custom projector HID headlights, custom intake, LED lightbar, underdrive pulley, trans vent tube - Wheeler/Bad Weather Rig
-98 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS7 - 5.7L LS1, 6 speed, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat back, Pioneer system - Summer Cruiser
-Rick Rotondo Photography - Nikon D2x, lots of glass, lighting, tri & monopods, and other gear
Unread 08-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

Adding to this: The last 5 times I've started the Jeep, hit the gas, and go it loses power (Kindo of bucks around) and makes some popping noises (nothing like an exhaust backfire - it's not super loud). After about 3-10 seconds of this is done and does not happen again.

Also, while on the highway it feels like it's lacking power. To keep up with traffic, especially on a slight to moderate incline, I need to full stomp the accelerator to get it to kick down into another gear and get moving. This is my first NP249 vehicle, so I'm not sure if that's just how it is with this t-case setup or not.

Unread 08-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFirefighter11
Adding to this: The last 5 times I've started the Jeep, hit the gas, and go it loses power (Kindo of bucks around) and makes some popping noises (nothing like an exhaust backfire - it's not super loud). After about 3-10 seconds of this is done and does not happen again.

Also, while on the highway it feels like it's lacking power. To keep up with traffic, especially on a slight to moderate incline, I need to full stomp the accelerator to get it to kick down into another gear and get moving. This is my first NP249 vehicle, so I'm not sure if that's just how it is with this t-case setup or not.
Is the TV cable properly adjusted? My ZJ, V8 NP249, kicks down fairly quick when climbing an incline at highway speeds. Check your tcase fluid also.
Unread 08-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFirefighter11 View Post

You need a complete inspection done on the steering , track bar and CA bushings for starters .

Your first issue above sounds like the upstream 02 sensor . Unplug it , you will get a CEL but the bucking and popping should no longer be present .

Second issue above sounds like a bad cat , could be the 02 sensor also . It's not the 249 .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
timmay5309
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFirefighter11 View Post
Adding to this: The last 5 times I've started the Jeep, hit the gas, and go it loses power (Kindo of bucks around) and makes some popping noises (nothing like an exhaust backfire - it's not super loud). After about 3-10 seconds of this is done and does not happen again..
I had the exact same problem that was the upstream O2 sensor needing replaced. Remember, Mopar or NTK sensors only
timmay5309 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

Thanks guys. The steering issue is definitely the box. Serious play in it. I can still drive it, but it's not fun. I'll have a new one in there soon.

As far as the stumbling goes, I'll check the cat and o2's this weekend. I appreciate the suggestion.

Tags
issues , problems , zj mechanical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.