Ok this is weird. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ok this is weird.

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 07-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
Trimble96ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Ok this is weird.

Well when I bought my Limited the passenger side floor board was a little damp but I didn't think nothing of it. Than I realized under the passenger back seat it was wet also. So I let it all dry.. than today I go to get in the Jeep and their both wet again. I've check my door seals and Sunroof seal. They're all fine. Anybody ever had this problem or know the solution?

Thanks.

Trimble96ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

its the air condition drain something or the other. There's a write up on it floatin around here somewheres.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Trimble96ZJ
1997 ZJ 

It also rained a little bit that same night. I always make sure my windows are up.
Unread 07-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Trimble96ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stblack97ZJ
its the air condition drain something or the other. There's a write up on it floatin around here somewheres.
You got a link bro? I'm on mobile.
Unread 07-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...ml#post3885949

Its the evaporator drain tube, I've found that an easy way to check for it being backed up is to touch the plastic box above it. If that's wet then the drain is backed up.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

2x on the blocked evap drain being a common issue resulting in the symptom you found.
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
Trimble96ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Well guys just check it. It turns out the previous owner had duck tape over the hole. There was a little water leaking from the hole. I got a coat hanger and shoved it straight in there and nothing. I put a big huge bit in the hole and well see how it holds up.

Also do you think this could be a reason why my interior lights stay on?

Thanks a lot guys.
Unread 07-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

Yeah its the drain. I had same problem with my 97. My step dad fixed it while I was gone one day. Not sure what he did, but I remember him telling me its now draining straight to the ground and not anywhere in the cab. Mine got to be so bad that the backseat would be wet from time to time.
Unread 07-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimble96ZJ View Post
Well guys just check it. It turns out the previous owner had duck tape over the hole. There was a little water leaking from the hole. I got a coat hanger and shoved it straight in there and nothing. I put a big huge bit in the hole and well see how it holds up.

Also do you think this could be a reason why my interior lights stay on?

Thanks a lot guys.

Haha speaking of interior lights that reminded me. This is kinda off subject but, If anybody has had this problem before and knows how to fix it, it would help greatly. My 97 zj got taken in a few years (when it was my moms) to have the blower motor replaced. Ever since then the interior lights wont come on when you open the doors. They only come on manually. Anybody know what the problem could be? I checked the fuse box over there, and couldn't find anything wrong. (but I've never really looked at fuses and how they work and such. so i'm not sure if i got the right fuse or not. But if anybody knows anything that could help I would appreciate a pm or reply to this forum or my jeep build one. heres the link to it: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/m...ild-d-1239689/
Unread 07-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
Trimble96ZJ
1997 ZJ 

The bit didn't hold went and bought silicone and gonna let it sit now. How did he get it to go straight to the ground?
Unread 07-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

I got no idea. I just no it doesn't drain where its supposed to, drains right outside. I'll have to ask him to see what he did, or just go take a look at it myself. I'll let you know what I find.
Unread 07-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
Trimble96ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Yeah it would help a lot thanks.
Unread 07-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

It drains inside a frame tube. ( real bright idea, huh ?) Use 100Lbs or more of compressed air and try to blow it out. Some guys have had success doing that.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #14
clapton
1996 ZJ 

tremble did you find the write-up regarding a/c drain extension. Havent seen that mentioned yet. It is a very good how-to & not hard @ all to do. My problem & I would bet possibly yours is the seal around the drain tube as it goes through the firewall. While in motion or parked on even a slight incline etc. it will drain back into the cab. The drain needs to be extended or have a 90* elbow added as well as the seal caulked/etc. Acess is @ wheel well into or just below frame rail. Find this write-up it will explain everything & make so much more sense than I can type out. Wish I could link ya bro but I dont even remember if it was this forum, sorry. good luck keep us posted.
clapton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #15
HR-WT
1998 ZJ 

I have the same problem on my '98 5.9 Limited and spent a lot of time vacuuming water out of the rear floorboard before I found the thread on this site.

One thing I found when fixing mine though, it is not enough just to run a coathanger down through the drain hole, you also need to run it up toward the drain tray as well. In other words, carefully run the wire UPWARD toward the dash board and check to see that it is draining properly from that direction as well.

Mine was clogged at that point and when I broke loose the clog, I thought I was going to flood the entire interior before I could get the wire out and plug the hole with my finger. It seemed like well over two gallons of water was trapped in there and had to run out. Good news is that it has been working fine ever since.
HR-WT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.