is it ok to use RTV on the Power steering pump/reservoir - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > is it ok to use RTV on the Power steering pump/reservoir

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 07-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I just got a Dorman reservoir. It seemed like a pretty good piece. The nipple was molded in and everything else matched up. The o-ring that came with it was thicker than the one that came in the pump rebuild kit I put in about a year ago. I'ts not leaking now but I measured all the parts of the o-ring seal, pump, and reservoir and ordered some new O-rings that I think will work better. When I get them I'll measure and see if they will work. The ones I ordered are Viton, 75 durometer, 14 mm ID, 3 mm width.

zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #17
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Yea I just felt under my 5.9's pump with my hand and I had some power steering on my fingers.. It doesn't seem like its enough to show on the pavement... but I JUST replaced the reservoir with one from a junkyard... It must be leaking where the o ring is I dunno... The 4.0 I wiped 3 times today while working on my 5.9's valve cover and it too has a small amount on the bottom of the reservoir ready to drip... Both of these Jeeps are ticking me off.. I have been wrangling these power steering pumps for literally years.. Im just gonna give up and refill it when it needs it.. screw the pavement and the environment I cant win when it comes to leaks on these ZJ's lol.
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:56 AM   #18
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

When I found my leak between the pump port and the reservoir nipple/o-ring I sanded down the inside of the round port with fine emery cloth. I found a real thin crack going lengthwise from the pump body about half-way out the port but it didn't come clear out to the end.

It's such a crap-shoot getting a reman PSP which doesn't leak I decided to try and fix/seal it. I also sanded down some of the metal on the outside of the port and since nothing likes to stick to plastic I also roughened up the surface of the nipple/plastic around it. Cleaned everything off with brake cleaner real well, let it sit in the sun to dry, then applied ultra black gasket maker to the o-ring/other surfaces while smoothing it out with a screwdriver tip. Installed the top clips to hold it together and let it sit drying for 24 hours before installing. Always kept it on it's side since didn't want residue power steering fluid running out of the pump on the fresh gasket maker until it dried. Must have done something right since it hasn't leaked yet after 1 1/2 years. Knock on wood.

I called the local parts guy I know real well who runs the parts department at the dealer. Asked if they still carried the OE reservoir and they still do but it's $45. Too high and think I remember you finding the same thing Candymancan.

Then I asked if they sell the OE o-ring for the reservoir, he looked it up, and a whooping $37.70! This has to be the whole PSP seal kit rather than just the o-ring. He did give me the Mopar/OE part number as 4333377. Did some searching and real hard to find. Finally on Mopar-Wholesale.com it came up listed as "Seal Power Steering" with a new number of 4333377AB for $25.99 plus shipping. Again this has to be the whole pump seal kit but no detail/diagram shown.

Too bad on the various ZJ parts lists they don't have the PSP assembly broken down in parts rather than just listing the whole pump unit w/reservoir listed as 1 number.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 04:20 AM   #19
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
I just got a Dorman reservoir. It seemed like a pretty good piece. The nipple was molded in and everything else matched up. The o-ring that came with it was thicker than the one that came in the pump rebuild kit I put in about a year ago. I'ts not leaking now but I measured all the parts of the o-ring seal, pump, and reservoir and ordered some new O-rings that I think will work better. When I get them I'll measure and see if they will work. The ones I ordered are Viton, 75 durometer, 14 mm ID, 3 mm width.
Let us know if they do josh.
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #20
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Seems ever since I took the caps apart and remove that brown o ring like thing in the center they stopped leaking.. I checked the 4.0 after 24 hours and the bottom of the reservoir was dry as a bone and so is my 5.9, I also noticed they seem to drive a lot better..

I noticed that when the Jeep was getting inspected with the "bad" pump on the one that caused a failed inspection the mechanic took the cap off and put it back on and the wheel turned easier for a second or two then it got hard to turn again.. Even with the new pump the wheel was still stiff when standing still.. ever since I removed that thing and relieved the pressure or vacuum or whatever the pump had it turns a hell of a lot easier now.. My 5.9 was fine, but even it now turns way easier.. That is weird why do you think it does that ?
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:26 AM   #21
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

That is wierd. Perhaps the caps are vented in some way that we are not seeing and by taking the ring out you allow it to.
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #22
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Whatever it is.. Ever since I poped that glued on power steering cap and removed the rubber ring insert thing both pumps haven't leaked anymore.. the 4.0 and 5.9 are bone dry and the steering is better.. No more PSHHH noise either.. It also hasn't leaked out of the cap yet either which I figured that o ring insert and the cap were for because of the hole inside but no it doesn't.

I think you are are in that the pumps have a vacuum not pressure.. With the o ring insert on you can blow air out.. but if you suck on it it wont work.. That o ring I think isn't suppose to keep the power steering from leaking its suppose to keep air from being sucked in the pump.. Why ? I don't know..
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #23
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Glad your pumps aren't leaking anymore after removing that part from the cap vent. Can't find in a search if on a correct vented cap if it's 1-way or 2-way but in your test it sounds like it's 1-way and not supposed to be letting air in.

The last step on the "Pump Leakage Diagnosis" from the 96 FSM (p. 19-5) states, "6. Check oil level; if leakage persists with the level correct and cap tight, replace the cap.". So maybe if it lets air in it also lets fluid out and there's supposed to be a slight vacuum. Kind of like if you hold a straw full of liquid with your thumb on the top it won't let any of the liquid drip out but once you release your thumb it all comes out.

Since you're saying your steering turns easier I may have to try something like you did, unplug the vent, or get a new cap. Ever since I put my last rebuilt pump on it's seemed to steer hard. Figured maybe it had the wrong high pressure line fitting w/flow control orifice. I remember a thread about the number of notches/indents on the nut sides are supposed to tell which flow control orifice it is. Venting a cap sounds like a whole lot easier solution!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #24
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Well remember I did start this thread because I had a power steering pump that made it hard to turn the wheel (failed inspected) my new pump fixed that but it was still a little stiff... I also remember the guy in the shop removing my cap turning the wheel and it turned easier then he put it back on and was harder to turn so he failed me.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.