Ok, So ive been battling a No start/random dying issue. Please help, im burning it! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ok, So ive been battling a No start/random dying issue. Please help, im burning it!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
JAX04
1996 ZJ 

Ok, So ive been battling a No start/random dying issue. Please help, im burning it!

Ok, Ive been battling my jeep not starting, or stalling/shutting off etc.

Ive replaced many things, crank sensor, IAC, Ignition coil, cleaned rotor, and even did the "back out the 2 screws on computer" deal.

Each time it will act fine after doing something new, but still shuts off intermittently and sometimes a real pain in the *** to get started.

I checked the grounds last nights behind the battery on the fender wall, wiggled all the PCM plugs around with the jeep running, trying to see if it would shut off, or something stupid. I cannot "MAKE" the truck shut off, its just random, my wife for the first this morning had to get a ride to work from her mother since it simply would not start at all.

The truck has a bran new rebuilt transmission in it and transfer case, and the motor, though it has 210k on it, still runs strong as hell when its running. I cannot justify getting rid of this truck right now.

Can Anyone with any insight, please help out? Thank you.

Kyle

JAX04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
JAX04
1996 ZJ 

Ive tried many things, ive got a thread like this in the XJ section as i did not know i was in the wrong section. But ive tried a million things, and think im about ready to try a new/used PCM. Right now, i cant even start it.
Unread 10-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
JAX04
1996 ZJ 

So you can see all the things ive tried.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/i...-help-1269978/
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Welcome to the ZJ section, Your shutting off, non start issue seems to be part of the infamous "Dying while driving syndrome". The 96-98 zj's were effected. The link below will put you in the middle of the thread that others who have also had the same problem.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/i...8/index26.html

The most inexpensive way to trouble shoot this, is to put ty-wraps around the connectors to the PCM. iIf the ty-wraps seem to fix the problem, get a PCM w/ a warranty. Or diy.

It could also be in your primary ignition system, but if I had the money, I'd put it on the PCM.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
JAX04
1996 ZJ 

Thank you for the response, upon reading that thread last night, i went out and wiggled on the connectors after i got the jeep to start, and sure enough, while wiggling, the jeep either smoothed out or died and ran like **** the more i wiggled it.

SOunds like i need to find a new PCM, id do the Wire tie method, but id rather fix the problem for the long haul.

ANyone know what i could expect to pay for one?

Thanks!

Kyle
Unread 10-03-2011, 05:40 AM   #6
mrduke
1996 ZJ 

I got one from these guys last Feb. Been running great ever since. $199.00 They will rebuild yours for $124.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-...item5198a5baf1
mrduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAX04 View Post
Thank you for the response, upon reading that thread last night, i went out and wiggled on the connectors after i got the jeep to start, and sure enough, while wiggling, the jeep either smoothed out or died and ran like **** the more i wiggled it.

SOunds like i need to find a new PCM, id do the Wire tie method, but id rather fix the problem for the long haul.

ANyone know what i could expect to pay for one?

Thanks!

Kyle
Sounds like it's the connection and not the pcm. I would zip tie it tight and see how it handles before dumping more money on it.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Sounds like it's the connection and not the pcm. I would zip tie it tight and see how it handles before dumping more money on it.
I already researched that possibility, and found that the problem was in the PCM. The 3 gang connector soldered to the PCM circuit board is loaded with bad solder connections. ZeeJay1997 has sent me hi, and I've got it installed in my rig. It's been failing on occasion (not as bad as mine did) and I'm going to take his apart to re-solder the connectors. His also has been repaired 4x without any success. It was also upgraded with new chips for the coil (I'll find out what they did to it and post what chips were used and caps replaced if any after the repair is completed and the write up is done.
His PCM (when running seems to be more responsive with a slight increase in overall performance. What ever they did, I'm going to copy on to my PCM that I repaired back in Feb-march.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...downs-1089895/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/i...8/index27.html

The bottom link is to page 27 in this thead which is when I started the repair.
Unread 10-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #9
JAX04
1996 ZJ 

well i took it off the car tonight, cleaned it up, and applied Dielectric grease to the connectors and put it back together using zip ties.

Started up fine, 80* no humidity, and drove it to the inlaws. Went to leave, probably about 65* or so, and it was hard to start, it started after about 3 tries.

Tomorrow morning when the dew is out and its nice and chilly, ill try starting it again, if it doesnt work, ill have to buy a replacement PCM i guess.

Im really getting over this truck fast.
Unread 10-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAX04 View Post
well i took it off the car tonight, cleaned it up, and applied Dielectric grease to the connectors and put it back together using zip ties.

Started up fine, 80* no humidity, and drove it to the inlaws. Went to leave, probably about 65* or so, and it was hard to start, it started after about 3 tries.

Tomorrow morning when the dew is out and its nice and chilly, ill try starting it again, if it doesnt work, ill have to buy a replacement PCM i guess.

Im really getting over this truck fast.
Getting passed this problem is probably one of the most frustrating parts of getting an older used vehicle that others have given up on. IMO, these are one of the best designed vehicles made. But as with anything, age will have it's effects.
Backing out screws and dia-electric grease is not going to fix this problem. It is only part of an attempt to repair it.
Tighten the ty-wraps as tight as you can get them.
Unread 10-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
JAX04
1996 ZJ 

Tried it, used a pair of channel locks to grab the straps with and pulled with all my might. Its either fried, or something else is the problem.

I dont have 200 firggin dollars to spend on a damn PCM/ECU

Just so you know, i couldnt even start it this morning, didnt happen, wouldnt happen, lol
Unread 10-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #12
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

If you want to take it a step further, ditch the zip ties and use a big band clamp horizontally around the PCM and across all 3 connectors. You will have to use something for a shim on the middle plug. This puts more force on the joints JS was talking about. Tighten the screw until you cant move the connector with your hand and moderate force. I would advise agianst putting your family in it until you get it worked out. It gets hairy in heavy traffic at 65-70 MPH.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #13
JAX04
1996 ZJ 

just to keep you all updated, i still havent gotten a new PCM and the problem hasnt got any better. Im going to go snag a junk yard ECU/PCM and see if that helps, before i drop a bunch of cash on a new unit.
Unread 10-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #14
Timbone1343
1997 ZJ 

I have been where you are. I know it sucks but replacing the PCM was the only permanent solution in my case.. I actually went through two replacements before I got one that was good. So if it comes back get the parts shop to order a new one right away so you don't have to pay again.

And if you do get a Junkyard swap try to make sure the specs of the vehicle match yours. I'm not sure about the transmission and transfer case but I know the motor must match.. Obviously.
Unread 10-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #15
97redzj
1997 ZJ 

Frustrating Problem - Been There

JAX - Just in case you want to try an almost free fix. Check out my post in the Infamous stalling... thread pg 44 or 45. Essentially, if you can locate the bad connector pins by wiggling each single wire, you can insert a very fine strand of wire into the connector pin socket. It gets balled up inside the socket when you re-insert the connector and makes a good electrical connection. It's an "outside the box" type fix but it is working for me.
JS97ZJ has good info if you find that the PCM is in fact the problem.
Good Luck!!!
97redzj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.