Ok, now that I've pulled the rear axles... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ok, now that I've pulled the rear axles...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Ok, now that I've pulled the rear axles...

I've been having a constant oscillating whine in my 96ZJ. I've got the 242. It is consistant with speed, it only seems do lighten with deceleration. Also if the truck bounces when I make a turn, it seems to be relative to the sound getting louder or softer.

So I decided to pull the axles being that I needed to change the fluid any way. The axles look ok to my untrained eye. Could my wheel bearing possibly be bad? The wheels behind the disc brake were dry as a bone and it seems the bearings rotated without any issues. Could they still be bad.

There were some metal shavings in the fluid, but it was powdery, no large shavings.

My questions are, should I replace the wheel bearings even though they "seem" fine and do not leak?

Could the axles themselves be bad?

Is there anywhere else I can look while I have the axles out. The pinion bearing is not leaking and there is no play in the yoke.

How do I check the integrity of each part I mentioned. What more should I check?

Lastly, there was no gasket on the diff cover. Only RTV. Should I reseal with RTV only, or should I use the RTV + gasket method?

I need to get this fixed. It's very embarassing to drive it like this, and I tired of driving my Delorean every day.

congerz83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
melk
1996 ZJ 

While you've got em out? Re-gear....

Haha but seriously maybe fresh fluid will do it. What do you plan on running in the diffs?

RTV or a gasket, one or the other, not both. Lube Locker makes a real nice gasket.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
What do you plan on running in the diffs?
I bought a couple of quarts of Coastal 75-90. So old fluid could really cause my noise?!? That would be awesome if all I had to do was give it a clean and put fresh fluid in it.
Unread 11-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
melk
1996 ZJ 

Well I'll be honest axles/hubs/bearings are still a mystery to me but no visible problems are a good sign at least.

How did the old fluid look? Mine was pretty nasty at 100k and likely first ever change.
Unread 11-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
melk
1996 ZJ 

Although, I do plan on replacing all my bearings at some point just as general maintenance considering the age & miles on them, and I plan on keeping the Jeep forever.

Is the whine/hum the same in 2wd, 4ft? Have you tried 4pt off road?

Should probably change the fluid in the front diff as well. And the transfer case takes 2qts ATF4. Easy to change.
Unread 11-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

I have not tried it in all ranges yet. I guess being that pulling the axles was so easy, I may as well just give everything a good cleaning and bolt everything back up. Maybe fresh fluid will do the trick. I doubt it though.
Unread 11-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
melk
1996 ZJ 

Well if you can hold off and wait a while see if someone else chimes in. I'm sure there probably is more you can scope out.
Unread 11-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Oh I've got time. I was curious if a wheel bearing can go bad even if it doesnt leak and spins freely in the tubes? I would think a bad bearing wouldn't always cause a leak if the seal was still good.
Unread 11-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Pinion bearings do that and are a known problem spot.

Would also be worth pulling the driveshaft and making sure the caps aren't dry and the needles are in good shape. Sometimes they get noisy a few thousand miles before outright failure.

With the DS out you can get a better feel for how tight the pinion is.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
Pinion bearings do that and are a known problem spot.

Would also be worth pulling the driveshaft and making sure the caps aren't dry and the needles are in good shape. Sometimes they get noisy a few thousand miles before outright failure.

With the DS out you can get a better feel for how tight the pinion is.
Can I replace the pinion bearing myself?
Unread 11-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #11
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Everything I'm reading tells me it's nearly impossible to do the pinion bearing myself. @$#% I didn't want to have to spend a $1000+ on a rebuild!
Unread 11-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by congerz83
Everything I'm reading tells me it's nearly impossible to do the pinion bearing myself. @$#% I didn't want to have to spend a $1000+ on a rebuild!
Pinion bearings are pretty easy if you have the tools. I use a posi-lock puller, and an air hammer. Also should have a in/lb torque wrench for bearing preload. Let me know if you have the goods to tackle it. If you can't find a posi-lock, you can find a press too

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #13
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

If your pinion bearings are out you should be able to wiggle the ds. Crawl under and wiggle it. Any play in joint is a simple fix, any play in yoke, pinion bearings. Is there any side to side play in the carrier, or the spiders, which will fall out if the axles are still out.

94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
Unread 11-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird17x View Post
Pinion bearings are pretty easy if you have the tools. I use a posi-lock puller, and an air hammer. Also should have a in/lb torque wrench for bearing preload. Let me know if you have the goods to tackle it. If you can't find a posi-lock, you can find a press too

All I have is a torque wrench. The issue is I'm clueless to what all of this is. Preload, back lash..... I have no idea what any of this means. I was scared to pull the axles out today, but I did, and now I know how.
Unread 11-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #15
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by congerz83

All I have is a torque wrench. The issue is I'm clueless to what all of this is. Preload, back lash..... I have no idea what any of this means. I was scared to pull the axles out today, but I did, and now I know how.
Start by wiggling the driveshaft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.