Ok I think I am gonna give up! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ok I think I am gonna give up!

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
SassySonja

Ok I think I am gonna give up!

My son bought a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo from a "friend." We replaced the battery right away because it was a pita to start. This was only relatively helpful! The jeep also idled funny and remained hard to start, although it did start. The other day he was driving it and went through some puddles. The engine cut out shortly after, while he was driving.It has not started since. It cranks but will not fire. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn key.

I have now replaced the crankshaft position sensor and the pick-up coil in the distributor. The kid he bought it from says the fuel pump is new as well. (although he claims he wasn't having any issues)

Any thoughts or ideas of what is next on the long list of possibilities?

SassySonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
EYPUFF
1995 ZJ 

have you checked the ignition coil?

Green Jeep Club Member # 32
EYPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
SassySonja

Is there a way to "check" it or do I just have to replace it to see?

Jeeps are new to me and tbh I havent worked on anything in 20 years. I traded wrenches and grease for books and ink!
SassySonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
jimbone007
1998 ZJ 

Here is a test you can do with a Multimeter. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...3/#post2498569 and this is a good reference when having stall no start issues..... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...talls-1407423/
jimbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

un plug the distributor end and then turn the key to see if it sparks (don't hold the wire while you do this unless you want to get zapped) was the last way I heard. Honestly if you haven't already changed or don't know when they last changed plugs/wires that'd be my first step. I ordered a set from rockauto (60 bucks came with all wires and coil) and that fixed my crappy idle and running like s***. i didn't do the distributor but many will do everything at once.
Unread 03-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

When mine died suddenly i just tried to replace the coil, easiest parts to replace gets replaced first.
And it fired right up, now i always have a spare coil in the it.

When it died i was only a couple of 100 meter away from home so i lucked out there to.
Chevrolet Silverado 2500 6.5TD -94
Chevrolet C20 6.2 -82
Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
jeepercreeper86
1997 ZJ 

When I had that problem is was the connection to the coil from the ignition side. I replaced everything before I found it out. I shook the cable one day and it shut off and wouldn't start again. I pushed the wires back in and it start again.
jeepercreeper86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 11:19 PM   #8
1998_ZJltd
1998 ZJ 

It would also be good to check the pcm connection .... reach down behind the coolant tank and give the connections a wiggle ... see if you get a stumble ... there are quite a few threads on replacement and repair and bandaid them ... the bandaid is actually zipties but gives you a place to start ...

you should also check out jason stebbins threads on the 12 things ...

also zeejays 12 thing to do when your zj stalls .....

both good places to start ... the pcm threads are in zeejays ...

good luck ... and don't give up .... its not worth it ....
1998_ZJltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Check fuse #20 under the hood in the PDC, near the coolant bottle. If it's blown, look under the rear passenger side at the cat.....there is a an o2 sensor and wiring there, at the back of the cat. Check to see if the wires are intact and not shorted or wrapped around the drive shaft. This is a known area of problems. If they need repairing, do so before replacing the fuse...which shuts down the spark.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #10
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

If you installed an aftermarket crank sensor, rather than Mopar, that still could be your problem. I installed 2 new aftermarket ones from the local parts store and they drove me nuts while acting just as erratic as the bad OE one. A Mopar crank sensor finally solved my no-start problem and you can buy them online for about $30 cheaper than the dealer. What size engine is in your 97; 4.0 or 5.2?

Make sure all your grounds are good and clean, particularly the 3 on the engine block if it's a 4.0. There's 2 on the coil bracket studs and 1 on the oil dip stick tube bracket. One of the grounds on the coil bracket studs near the passenger side motor mount grounds the PCM which in turn grounds all the sensors. Vicious circle if this ground isn't good/clean and maybe when it was drove through the puddle/water it helped break the connection. Good luck!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #11
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
If you installed an aftermarket crank sensor, rather than Mopar, that still could be your problem. I installed 2 new aftermarket ones from the local parts store and they drove me nuts while acting just as erratic as the bad OE one. A Mopar crank sensor finally solved my no-start problem and you can buy them online for about $30 cheaper than the dealer. What size engine is in your 97; 4.0 or 5.2?

Make sure all your grounds are good and clean, particularly the 3 on the engine block if it's a 4.0. There's 2 on the coil bracket studs and 1 on the oil dip stick tube bracket. One of the grounds on the coil bracket studs near the passenger side motor mount grounds the PCM which in turn grounds all the sensors. Vicious circle if this ground isn't good/clean and maybe when it was drove through the puddle/water it helped break the connection. Good luck!
Very good advice.

BTW, if you're really "sassy" like your screen name says....you can never give up ! Nevah !

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.