Oilly Air Filter - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oilly Air Filter

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-28-2010, 09:55 PM   #46
future4btzj
1994 ZJ 

I believe the extra breather is to help the engine blowby gases get back into circulation. GL

future4btzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #47
9496ZJs
1996 ZJ 

It's still alive!

I remember reading this entire thread 5 or 6 years ago, even though our '94 ZJ 4L had been "donated" to my father-in-law 4 years before that, with 90K miles on the odometer. He occassionally asked for advice on repairs, and I would walk him through the Service Manual I had bought, and advise him what to do, or at least tell his tech. "I have always put Mobil1 in this baby. Should run forever."

One day his tech unknowingly broke the oil pressure sending unit, and 6 quarts of (dino) oil drizzled/seeped out, along 10 to 12 miles of highway, and the Check Engine light came on, and it seized by the side of the road. I figured it was goner. But he towed it, fixed the sender, refilled with dino oil, and put it back on the road.

Never thought I would have to deal with this CCV. I figured the old heap would be long dead and crushed before a simple breather tube would ever be a problem. I figured my F-I-L would at least go for the Cash-for-Clunker rebate, but it wasn't worth a turd.

But guess what....It is still alive, along with this thread.

My F-I-L gave the car back to my daughter. It used to carry her when she was an infant 18 years ago. Now she is driving this rusty heap and polluting the high school parking lot with a cocktail of oil and tranny fluid. It's her "cool car"even though it smells of mold and petrified french fries under the seat.

And even though it has over 239,000 miles on it now, I dutifully changed the oil this past weekend to show her and my 13-year old son how important it is to take care of an engine.

And that's when it happened: She asked me, "Dad, why is that oil all over the valve cover near that rubber elbow thing near the back?" I told her not to worry, and then made the mistake of wiping it with a rag. The elbow snapped off.

So $25 later, and after 1 hour of yanking the brittle plastic CCV, and petrified rubber grommet out, piece by piece with vice-grips, I have successfully used this thread as it was intended.

'94 ZJ 4.0L
239,000 miles.
9496ZJs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #48
elkski
1993 ZJ 

Nice 9496.
Jeeps can sure make some memories. My old 87 4.0 had this problem too.
I remember going on family camping trips with 3 kids strapped in the back seat of a 65 CJ5(Betsy).. We did have a one wheeled trailer that hooked on the jeep at two tailgate latches. I bought Betsy from my dad in college and renamed her Betsy Ann.. changed that to Anne for a current Girlfriend. No wit is resting/dying at my Fil country barn in Texas.. But my children have been able to be the 3rd generation to drive old Betsy.
elkski is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.