Oilly Air Filter - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oilly Air Filter

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-08-2005, 10:51 AM   #16
Brian's 97 ZJ
1997 ZJ 

GettinStuck,

I wouldn't use that mechanic.

- Brian

For some reason, being a member of the CharGold Jeep Club just isn't as cool... Member #1
Brian's 97 ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2005, 06:08 PM   #17
RolledOverJEEP

Anyone know if you can just pull the two elbows off? I tried, and it seems like I'm going to break something they are so tight.
Unread 07-08-2005, 07:30 PM   #18
Scottso699
2006 WK 

you can pull of the elbows - the front one is the same size diameter as the outside the rear one has a pinhole sized hole at the connection to the valve cover - when this pin hole gets clogged the vacum from your air filter starts to pull oil from the valve cover rather than the rear one evening the pressure between the valve cover and intake manifold - I had the same problem with my 95 ZJ 4.0L - just popped the rear elbow off - cleaned it out and replaced the rubber grommet and plastic hose connection (it desintigrated on me) and it solved the problem.

2006 WK Overland - K&N CAI, Superchips Programmer, Dynomax Ultra Flo Muffler, 265/70r17 BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain Tires, 1.25" Wheel Spacers, OME HD Lift, Monroe F150 Load Assist Shocks
Scottso699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2005, 08:22 PM   #19
Brian's 97 ZJ
1997 ZJ 

The elbows may also break when you try to take them out. They press pretty tightly into the grommets and they will become brittle over time. I was unable to take mine out without breaking them.

Here's the Catch 22 that I ran into: I wanted to remove the valve cover before I tried to remove the elbows, so that if they broke, plastic wouldn't get into the valve train. Except the proximity of the rear elbow to the cowl didn't allow me to lift the valve cover over the rockers far enough to get the valve cover off.

HTH

- Brian

For some reason, being a member of the CharGold Jeep Club just isn't as cool... Member #1
Brian's 97 ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2005, 05:39 AM   #20
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai_Ryu
Here's the Catch 22 that I ran into: I wanted to remove the valve cover before I tried to remove the elbows, so that if they broke, plastic wouldn't get into the valve train. Except the proximity of the rear elbow to the cowl didn't allow me to lift the valve cover over the rockers far enough to get the valve cover off.

HTH

- Brian
Now that's funny Stop using your brain and get a hammer man! You smash that freakin thing then remove the valve cover and spend the rest of the afternoon cleaning all of the bits out!!!

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2005, 05:46 PM   #21
hanly2
1994 ZJ 

So does anyone have the correct part #'s for a ZJ or is this thread dead?
hanly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2005, 05:47 PM   #22
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Go to a dealer, they can look it up. This thread has now been reincarnated twice.
Unread 05-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #23
dos0711
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Because it is an awesome thread!

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)==@=)_)
dos0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 08:55 AM   #24
sastanley
1993 ZJ 

Yup..thanks for this thread. my rear tube broke off at the valve cover this weekend when I attempted to clean it.

For a 1993 ZJ, as of Nov 2006, the front tube is $12 and the rear tube is $16 from my local dealer. I am picking them up today.
sastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 09:14 AM   #25
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Thatís because every 4L engine on a ZJ, will dump oil on top of the air filter at some point in time. Same thing with the oil pressure sender. Itís garbage and will leak. Both the CCV valve and the oil pressure transducer should be on the 100,000 mile maintenance schedule. (as a replacement part)

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 09:28 AM   #26
sastanley
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers
That’s because every 4L engine on a ZJ, will dump oil on top of the air filter at some point in time. Same thing with the oil pressure sender. It’s garbage and will leak. Both the CCV valve and the oil pressure transducer should be on the 100,000 mile maintenance schedule. (as a replacement part)
My ZJ has 208K on it...I bought it with 191K on it. The previous owner was not what I'd call a 'regular maintenance' type of guy. I am finding all kinds of goodies
Also on the list:
rear main seal
rear wheel bearings
getting the play out of the steering
Unread 11-20-2006, 12:58 PM   #27
CJtoWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastanley
My ZJ has 208K on it...I bought it with 191K on it. The previous owner was not what I'd call a 'regular maintenance' type of guy. I am finding all kinds of goodies
Also on the list:
rear main seal
rear wheel bearings
getting the play out of the steering

Was going to send you a link to this site, knowing how busy you are work, and the limited time you have to surf the net.

See ya tonight, we'll get some of your issues sorted out.

Wonder if there any "Anarchists" on this board, Hike *****es!
94 Cherokee
04 G-Cherokee
CJtoWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 01:24 PM   #28
sastanley
1993 ZJ 

CJtoWJ:

It figures you'd hunt me down on some other forum where we have stuff in common...are you stalking me????

Thanks for your help. I have beer in the fridge

I picked up those parts today..I'll get an air filter also on the way home.

This forum (and its members!) has saved me many times with regards to this vehicle

How'd you get the JeepForum Supporter thingie? I paid my $25 months ago
Unread 11-20-2006, 02:01 PM   #29
CJtoWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastanley
CJtoWJ:

It figures you'd hunt me down on some other forum where we have stuff in common...are you stalking me????

Thanks for your help. I have beer in the fridge

I picked up those parts today..I'll get an air filter also on the way home.

This forum (and its members!) has saved me many times with regards to this vehicle

How'd you get the JeepForum Supporter thingie? I paid my $25 months ago

Agree, the folks on this site know their Jeeps, most have "been there, done that, have the t-shirts and coffee mugs".

I had the "Jeep Forum Supporter Thingie" applied shortly after making the payment. Perhaps you made the wrong person $25 richer...
94 Cherokee
04 G-Cherokee
CJtoWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 02:30 PM   #30
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Will you guys stop digging up old threads!

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.