Oilly Air Filter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oilly Air Filter

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-09-2004, 02:37 PM   #1
jeepholic

Oilly Air Filter

Does someone know what it means when your air filter gets oil on it, it is happening allot latley.
PS when that baby hit 200k miles problems started popping up like carzy, just did the CPS today and started doing a rear tranny seal...fun fun fun.

jeepholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2004, 02:51 PM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Wow,

stumped me on this one. My air filter is always oily because of the filter element.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2004, 02:58 PM   #3
jeepholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1
Wow,

stumped me on this one. My air filter is always oily because of the filter element.

Hunter
Are you saying that the air filter in my 4.0 I6 is supposed to be soaked in oil, I have two vents on the top of my valve cover, one is in the back and the one near the front has a tube going to the air filter box so I assume oil can get over there, but it doesn't look like any air can get through it, because it drips oil, only the edges, the center of the square air filter is still dry.
Unread 08-09-2004, 02:59 PM   #4
miataeric
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepholic
Does someone know what it means when your air filter gets oil on it, it is happening allot latley.
PS when that baby hit 200k miles problems started popping up like carzy, just did the CPS today and started doing a rear tranny seal...fun fun fun.
Sounds like blow-by to me.
Google says: http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cheroke...ltr/blowby.htm
Unread 08-09-2004, 03:07 PM   #5
jeepholic

That's it exactly thanks so much!!!!!!
Unread 08-09-2004, 07:17 PM   #6
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

No, your's is supposed to be dry. I have the turbcity dual air intake. Mine is supposed to be dry hence me saying that you really stumped me on that one.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2004, 07:24 PM   #7
LBX2G

I asked my high school mechinic teacher about this. He said it is cloged and to replace the ccv valves and not to worry about. and that is normal wear and tear. Nothing to pull ur hair out about.
LBX2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2004, 08:53 PM   #8
jeepzjlimited

I've had this problem as well on my '94 4.0 I6. It seems under acceleration the front CCV on the valve cover can "spit" oil from the crankcase out onto the air filter. To remedy this problem I have simply removed the hose that goes from the front valve cover CCV to the factory airbox. Placed a breather filter on the front valve cover CCV nozzle and blocked off the airbox nozzle.

No problems or oily air filter in months now .
jeepzjlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2004, 08:56 PM   #9
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

This issue should really be a “sticky” It has been written up several times in great detail. I will tell you what I know: the rear plastic line is connected to the intake manifold. The manafold pulls a slight vacuum on the valve cover and recycles the blow-by gases back into the combustion chambers. The front line is connected to the air filter. From this line, it purges the blow-by gases with fresh air. If the rear line is disconnected or block/clogged, then you do not have a purge in your valve cover anymore. If blocked then the valve cover becomes slightly pressurized, so the oily vapors are force in the reverse direction to the air filter and deposit on the top of the filter. Remove the rear line and clean it with brake fluid. If this CCV line is disconnected, then you may smell and see the vapors.

The two elbows at each end of the 4.0 liter engine are different. The one at the front is a normal elbow(Mopar pn# 53030497 $4.60) This allows a fresh air purge of the vapors inside the valve cover. The rear one is called the vent or CCV valve (Mopar pn# 53030495 $6.10). Gases flow out of this and into the Intake manifold. One end of the CCV vent, the part inside the valve cover, has a metered orifice in it about 1/8” OD. This meters the amount of blow-by gases introduced into the intake manifold. You will also need two rubber gromets for the valve cover (Mopar pn# 2946079 $ 4.35/ea)

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new

Last edited by greasefingers; 12-13-2006 at 03:08 PM..
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2004, 10:13 AM   #10
slaterny

misleading thread

I love this jeepforum, but I have an issue with this particular thread. It sounded like what was described here is exactly what was happening to my zj. I clicked on the link that has a detailed description along with specific mopar part numbers for a fix. I went to the dealer and got the exact part, but it didn't fit! It turns out that the link with the part numbers was for xj's not zj's!

Looking at it after the fact, I see that now, but when you are trying to diagnose and fix a problem, I guess you assume that any information under the "Grand Cherokee" forum would be related to just that.

That's my .02
Unread 10-17-2004, 07:46 PM   #11
jeepholic

The link was directly to an XJtech page, even has a pic of an XJ, and while the problem is the same the part #'s may be different.
About the problem, once I cleaned my vents and made sure I had good vacum in the back vent the problem went away. The valve cover makes a vacum inside, and with out it you will get oil on the air filter.

94 I6 ZJ at 4", 33's and front locker and 4.11 gears. Swampy Bypass.
[B]Black Jeep Club Member Ver. 2 #51[/B]
Unread 10-17-2004, 11:02 PM   #12
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers
This issue should really be a “sticky” It has been written up several times in great detail. I will tell you what I know: the rear plastic line in connected to the intake manifold. It pulls a vacuum on the valve cover and recycles the blow-by gases back into the combustion chambers. The front line is connected to the air filter. It purges the blow-by gases with fresh air. Your rear line is disconnected or block/clogged. So you do not have a vacuum in your valve cover; anymore. The valve cover is now pressurized, so the oily vapors enter the air filter and deposit on the top. Remove the rear line and clean it with petrol.

Ask, and ye shall receive....
FAQ entry

Unread 04-13-2005, 03:24 AM   #13
NowBetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaterny
I love this jeepforum, but I have an issue with this particular thread. It sounded like what was described here is exactly what was happening to my zj. I clicked on the link that has a detailed description along with specific mopar part numbers for a fix. I went to the dealer and got the exact part, but it didn't fit! It turns out that the link with the part numbers was for xj's not zj's!

Looking at it after the fact, I see that now, but when you are trying to diagnose and fix a problem, I guess you assume that any information under the "Grand Cherokee" forum would be related to just that.

That's my .02

Hi...

On the bottom of that detailed description of how to deal with the problem it said that it was for Cherokee/Comanche Jeeps only... But I guess it is "misleading" in a way if you don't read the whole article.

Have a good one guys...

Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
Performance:
Base Engine Type: Inline 6, 4.0 liters Horsepower: 190 hp
Max Horsepower: 4750 rpm Torque: 225 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 4000 rpm Maximum Payload: 1150 lbs.
Maximum Towing Capacity: 5000 lbs. Drive Type: RWD

[B]209,900 miles[/B]
NowBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2005, 08:38 AM   #14
Dr. Righteous
1994 ZJ 

Exact Problem!

FIRST OFF.
In a CCV (Constant Crankcase Ventlation) there is no one way valve like in a PCV (Positive crankcase ventlation) on a V8. The 2 plastic fittings on top of the valve covers are elbows only. What limits the airflow is the oriface size (brass fitting). The purpose isn't to pull a vacuum in the crankcase but to maintain a slight low pressure so blowby gasses will not cause performance problems with the engine. It all works good but usually gets 0% maintenance, so by the time the adverage Jeeper gets it the system isn't working correctly.

When I bought my '94 ZJ 4.0L, it had an oil smell while driving.
When I check under the hood I noticed a oily vapor coming out around the CCV gromets on the valve cover. Closer investigation showed that all parts of the CCV system was pretty much shot. The brass oriface that screws into the intake was totally clogged so it couldn't have worked anyway.
Went to the Jeep dealer parts counter and discussed the problem. It turns out it is very common on Jeeps with the 4.0L and they knew all the part numbers by heart when I told them the year. The breather tube was out of stock but they pulled one or a XJ and said to turn it around backwards and it would work. The bends in the plastic tube are in different places for a XJ. Everything was less than $50 and I installed the parts and had a working CCV system.
Dr. Righteous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2005, 01:47 AM   #15
GettinStuck

i worship this thread... i thought i was screwed. my local mechanic told me i was going to need an engine rebuild.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.