Oil weight for 4.0L? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil weight for 4.0L?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 01-22-2009, 06:45 AM   #1
jasonodle
2004 WJ 

Oil weight for 4.0L?

What weight of engine oil should I be using in my 04 grand cherokee with the 4.0L?

I have inherited this vehicle through my newish girlfriend, so I am trying to get all the info I can before I dive in. It needs an oil change and a tune up.
Anything special that needs to be done to this model?
Thanks

Last edited by jasonodle; 01-22-2009 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: updated
jasonodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
Turbonut

http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/maint..._wj.htm#ENGOIL

http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/sparkplugs.htm

http://www.wjjeeps.com/maintenance.htm
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
trail-rated
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonodle View Post
What weight of engine oil should I be using in my 04 grand cherokee with the 4.0L?

I have inherited this vehicle through my newish girlfriend, so I am trying to get all the info I can before I dive in. It needs an oil change and a tune up.
Anything special that needs to be done to this model?
Thanks
I see in your profile that you have a V6. That's very rare! LOL
The WJ's either came with an I6 or a V8.

Does it have 4WD? If so, you should also change the transfer-case fluid, changing diff fluid is also recommended. The 4.0 is a flat tappet engine so it needs allot of zinc in its oil, look for 10W-30/40 high mileage oil or go with shell rotella T 5W-40 synthetic (my 4.0 loves that oil!).

Hope this help and to the forums!

Mechanical fan upgrade
trail-rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

I have found 5w-30 to work great. I religiously use Mobil 1 synthetic truck and suv. It starts great even when its -15F out.
Unread 01-22-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

Trail rated is correct, you want a high ZDDP oil, which is higher in Zinc, an anti-wear additive that is important for the flat tappet cams. API has reduced the ZDDP levels in newer oil because that same additive causes premature wear to the Catalytic Converters. You need to shop for an oil that retains the ZDDP levels. Alot of people choose to use a diesel type oil, but there are many oils on the market with acceptable ZDDP levels.
Here is a TSB from Amsoil explaining it a little better, if you would like to read about it.
https://www.amsoil.com/dealer/techse...t%20Tappet.pdf

Also get a good filter, WIX is a popular quality filter with a good anti drain-back valve. Stay away from Fram!
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
trail-rated
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Around View Post
Get a good filter, WIX is a popular quality filter with a good anti drain-back valve. Stay away from Fram!

X2

Fram sucks.

Mechanical fan upgrade
trail-rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
MCHJeep
1999 WJ 

I personally am partial to Rotella T 15-40 diesel oil. It has detergent in it for cleaning and has excellent viscosity. I like to change oil every 2K kilometers and filter (Wix preferred) every 2nd oil change (only if the oil doesn't look that dark). I use the Rotella on all my motorbikes too. Synthetic is also good but I prefer the Rotella T (much cheaper) and more often oil changes.
just my preference.
Unread 01-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
NewLegs
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also get a good filter, WIX is a popular quality filter with a good anti drain-back valve. Stay away from Fram!
X3
Friends dont let friends Fram their Jeep.
NewLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Trail rated is correct, you want a high ZDDP oil, which is higher in Zinc, an anti-wear additive that is important for the flat tappet cams. API has reduced the ZDDP levels in newer oil because that same additive causes premature wear to the Catalytic Converters. You need to shop for an oil that retains the ZDDP levels. Alot of people choose to use a diesel type oil, but there are many oils on the market with acceptable ZDDP levels.
Here is a TSB from Amsoil explaining it a little better, if you would like to read about it.
https://www.amsoil.com/dealer/techse...t%20Tappet.pdf

I was iterested in reading that info but the link didn't work.
So here is the link that does, for those who want to read it.......

http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbu...t%20tappet.pdf
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.