Oil Smells like gas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil Smells like gas

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
jbrink
2002 WJ 

Oil Smells like gas

I just switched to synthetic oil a few weeks ago and now it seems like my oil smells like gas. Another thing it seems like my oil pressure is a little higher when I first start up the engine. I put in 10w30 because it's summer. I don't know if that may have something to do with it. Any ideas or suggestions?

jbrink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
pigoo
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink View Post
I just switched to synthetic oil a few weeks ago and now it seems like my oil smells like gas. Another thing it seems like my oil pressure is a little higher when I first start up the engine. I put in 10w30 because it's summer. I don't know if that may have something to do with it. Any ideas or suggestions?
Don't know your vehicles mileage...but worn but engine wear can allow oil & fuel to mix to a degree.

I would say that your oil smelling like gas was probably present before you used the synthetic oil...you just so happened to notice now with your most recent oil change.

- Nick
pigoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

it was bad valve seals on my 318, could be rings as well though.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
ZJcrawler45
1998 ZJ 

Could be numerous things, the 2006 raptor 700's are notorious for this, and no one can find the problem; and also nothing bad has happened.
ZJcrawler45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
Chrisca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink View Post
I put in 10w30 because it's summer.
Instead of 10W-40?
If you change weights, you would change to heavier (10W-40) in the summer.
The 1st number is the viscosity at colder/startup temps and the 2nd number is the viscosity at operating temp.
Hotter in the summer means thinner oil.
Unread 06-18-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
Coletrickle
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Could it be a leaking throttle body; leaking fuel that's washing past the valves and rings and mixing into the oil?

Is it showing signs of being overful of oil? That would tell you how serious it is. If it's not overful by much, it can't be much gas.
Homegrown Bumper
Aussie
Coletrickle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coletrickle View Post
Could it be a leaking throttle body; leaking fuel that's washing past the valves and rings and mixing into the oil?

Is it showing signs of being overful of oil? That would tell you how serious it is. If it's not overful by much, it can't be much gas.
There is no fuel into the TB, its all injected in the head (multi-port fuel injection).
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
Coletrickle
2001 XJ Cherokee 

oops, sorry. What I should have said is what about a leaky injector?
Homegrown Bumper
Aussie
Coletrickle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #9
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Chris makes a good point. The use of a more thin (thinner?) oil in summer is exactly backwards to what you'd want to do.

Given that it is synthetic however, the change in viscoscity in varied temperatures is less an issue than with conventional.

A compression check will tell you about the issue being with cylinders & valves sealing well enough.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #10
rubbersidedown
1999 WJ 

does it seem to be missfiring? Could be a bad spark plug.
rubbersidedown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.