Oil and seafoam - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil and seafoam

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 05-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Howieb92
1998 ZJ 

Oil and seafoam

Hey guys is it best to use sea-foam in oil before I change it or after I got right around 700 miles till it needs changing and where else can I use sea-foam. And can you explain what I need to do for it all thanks.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #655[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Howieb92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

if you want to put it in the oil, wait until you are 50-75 miles away from changing it. then put it in. but if you have any kind of oil leak, i wouldn't seafoam. it will make the leak worse.
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Howie,

Like it was mentioned earlier, use it immediately before the oil change. I wouldn't want it inside possibly damaging any seals for any longer than necessary. I used Sea-Foam when I first bought my ZJ several years ago, but since then haven't used it for fear that my slow rear main leak would get worse. I've got 185k on my 5.2, and there's no way I want to even have a shred of a doubt that Sea-Foam pushed my engine over the edge into full on rebuild time.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Howieb92
1998 ZJ 

Ok thanks guys I'm just lookin to see how anyway to get better gas mileage
[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #655[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Unread 05-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
ibrady
2008 WK 

I'm also wondering if this will do damage to my engine. The PO said it was rebuilt and has about 110k on it now. I have a very small oil leak from the oil filter area...
ibrady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

It can dislodge gunk that had previously not been leaking, but after cleaning will leak. IIRC, there was a thread on this forum about the gunk that had accumulated in a V8 in the lifter valley, after a heavy dose of Sea-Foaming, it dislodge clogging the oil pump making the engine fail...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Most of the time the only ones you need to worry about are poorly maintained motors. Seafoam helps greatly no matter what when run through the throttle body and vac lines. Running it through the oil will cleanse any carbon buildup that has accumulated. It can make leaks worse, basically it cleans all the crap that keeps it from leaking.

If you have any major oil leaks you might not want to do it, but i would at leaast run it through the TB and vac lines, and run some through the fuel.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2011, 06:04 AM   #8
ScottyGunn
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713 View Post
if you want to put it in the oil, wait until you are 50-75 miles away from changing it. then put it in. but if you have any kind of oil leak, i wouldn't seafoam. it will make the leak worse.
Yup! I did, and it does!
Unread 05-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
gothchick
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the heads up. Think I'll pass on this then.
gothchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #10
khakioutlaw
1997 ZJ 

I had a small/minor oil leak that I fixed after seafoaming my Jeep. At the time when I did seamfoam my engine (160k miles), it didn't make the oil leak any worse or better. So, I guess it's just personal preference. In my honest opinion, my ZJ runs a hell of a lot better since seamfoaming it but ultimately, it is your decision. If it were a major oil leak, then your may want to pass the seamfoaming in the crankcase and just stick to the throttle body/vacuum lines.
khakioutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 01:43 AM   #11
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I like to toss in some atf about 250mi before a change every two or three changes.

Keeps things nice and clean.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
harwood909
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I like to toss in some atf about 250mi before a change every two or three changes.

Keeps things nice and clean.
I've heard of this, too... I guess that was part of Marvel oil when it first came, a mix a ATF and somethin else, can't remeber.

Literally Built
harwood909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
Wood2km
1998 ZJ 

I would highly recommend seafoaming through the TB and vacuum lines. I have not done it in the oil before, but if it was burning oil, I would consider it. Using it in the fuel and TB/vac lines improved my power, and picked up 2-3 mpg. Paid for itself in one tank of gas.
Wood2km is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
Howieb92
1998 ZJ 

What do you have to do to run it through the tb and vac lines I haven't done that before
Unread 05-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #15
Wood2km
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howieb92
What do you have to do to run it through the tb and vac lines I haven't done that before
The directions are right on the bottle. You pop off the brake booster line and start the jeep. Trickle the seafoam in the hose, not letting it stall. Then pour a bunch in and stall it out. Let it sit for 30-60 mins, then start it and take it for a "spirited drive. "
Wood2km is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.