oil in radiator - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > oil in radiator

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cata123 View Post
I want all new coolant in new radiator, so how would i do it?
When I had the shop do mine they left the old one in, drained all of the old antifreeze out, added a little Dawn to the old radiator, and completely flushed out the system using water.

I asked the shop why a little liquid soap, they told me it was an old trick to get as much of the darn oil out of the block as possible.

Once they flushed it all out, we added all new hoses a new water pump, new thermostat and a new radiator.

My ZJ had 125,000 on all of this stuff, so it was kind of a preventative maintenance step on my part. I travel a lot with my Jeep.

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
cata123

That's what i wanted to know thanks! Ill do that, all hoses n thermostat n waterpump are atleast 2 years old
cata123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #18
cata123

Well i flushed radiator twice, then put new one in, replaced engine and transmission oil, everything looked good but later today some small oil spots resurfaced i don't know if its still leaking or just some oil left in there, am guessing theres no 100% to remove the oil? That was left in there?
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #19
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Well i flushed radiator twice, then put new one in, replaced engine and transmission oil, everything looked good but later today some small oil spots resurfaced i don't know if its still leaking or just some oil left in there, am guessing theres no 100% to remove the oil? That was left in there?
That happened to me too. I kept opening my radiator cap every other week for a while and wiped up the left over oil with a paper towel.

You should be okay.

Unread 06-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #20
cata123

Thanks for the info guess ill keep wiping till it goes away lol
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #21
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Thanks for the info guess ill keep wiping till it goes away lol
Just remember to let that motor cool down for a few hours before you remove that cap!

Unread 06-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #22
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Someone could have put some stop-leak in there at one time or another. It has an oily base and if it was ever used, it's probably lurking somewhere in the block.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.