oil in radiator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > oil in radiator

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 06-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
cata123

oil in radiator

I have 97 zj 5.2 2wd engine and transmission rebuilt. The radiator is new, today i was checking fluids, and i noticed oil in the radiator. I checked the engine oil and transmission oil, and they are clean. Is it possible the radiator is damaged and transmission oil is getting in since transmission oil runs thru the radiator?? Or any suggestions?

cata123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Might be some residue in there because it's new. Drain it and see.
No coolant in the oil?

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

If the transmission cooler in the radiator is leaking it will kill the transmission once the coolant gets into the tranny. That is possible but not common. It did happen to a friend of mine though. Worth examining closely. Pull the trans dip stick and check the fluid.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
If the transmission cooler in the radiator is leaking it will kill the transmission once the coolant gets into the tranny. That is possible but not common. It did happen to a friend of mine though. Worth examining closely. Pull the trans dip stick and check the fluid.
Thats exactly why I bypassed the Radiator with the cooler lines. I went straight to the cooler and back to the trans.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
Thats exactly why I bypassed the Radiator with the cooler lines. I went straight to the cooler and back to the trans.
Yea me too. Motor and tranny run cooler as well.
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
cata123

I rebuilt it 2 years ago. The engine and transmission oil is clean, is it possible the radiator is bad? N it's letting tranny oil inside?
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #7
AaronButler
1996 ZJ 

I would drain your coolant system and put new coolant in it. drive it around for a while and see if the oil resurfaces.

Can you tell if its tranny fluid or engine oil? The only way I could see engine oil getting into the radiator is through a bad head gasket. I've never seen that happen, because usually a bad head gasket leaks coolant into the engine, not the other way around, but I wouldn't rule it out.

If you can pull some of the oil out of the radiator and see if its that purpley colored, you know its coming from the tranny, in which case, theres probably a leak somewhere inside the radiator. Replacing the radiator isn't hard.... just really messy
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
cata123

Its just black spots, today it looked like chocolate milk in radiator but it was just the top layer, if i stick my finger the rest is coolant
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
cata123

ok checked this morning, and it does kinda smell and looks like tranny oil :/.... do you guys think i should do baby steps and flush the radiator? theres also oil in the coolant tank, is there a ZJ radiator flush writeup around here?? or do u think i should just replace the radiator?
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

If it's transmission fluid then I would not drive it. I would drain the radiator and drop the transmission pan to see if there is coolant in the fluid. With the radiator you can bypass the transmission cooler and put in your own separate auxiliary cooler to keep them separate. So if the radiator is still good you can keep it just bypass the transmission cooler.

The last thing you want is water in your transmission. It will ruin the clutches fast.
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

This happened to my on my 97 ZJ 4.0. My transmission cooling tank developed a leak in it and it leaked into the radiator. I had to flush the cooling system, and bought a new radiator from 1aauto.com . I also completely flushed the transmission and put a new tranny filter in it.

We carry new radiators. If you would like a price on one you can PM me.

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
cata123

i think i have what this guy has http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/9...flush-1484142/ also i have a tranny cooler that i put in new, so its going tru the radiator and the tranny cooler, i think becuase this zj had the tow package or something.
if i replace the radiator should i flush the old radiator and then put the new one in or just put the one one in and do a flush??
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cata123 View Post
i think i have what this guy has http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/9...flush-1484142/ also i have a tranny cooler that i put in new, so its going tru the radiator and the tranny cooler, i think becuase this zj had the tow package or something.
if i replace the radiator should i flush the old radiator and then put the new one in or just put the one one in and do a flush??
That depends on if you want the old coolant to go into a new radiator or not.
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
cata123

I want all new coolant in new radiator, so how would i do it?
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cata123 View Post
I want all new coolant in new radiator, so how would i do it?
I would start by reading online how to flush your radiator or replacing a radiator.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.