Oil pump or pressure sensor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil pump or pressure sensor?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-21-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Oil pump or pressure sensor?

So Im driving along on the highway today, and I pull off to the shoulder to re-adjust the tarp on my trailer. When I come to a complete stop, the check gages alarm sounds, but before I could figure out what the deuce is happening, the alarm goes away.

Later, I come to a complete stop at the light, alarm sounds and this time i can see the oil pressure dropped to zero. At which point the light turns green and i get going again. The pressure returns to normal and I continue to drive @ 70mpph. Stop at another light, and only at a complete stop, the alarm sounds and the gage drops to zero.

This pattern continues for my ride home tonight. Only when I come to a complete stop, if i am rolling, nothing, but when I stop, gage drops and alarm sounds. As soon as I start moving again the system returns to normal.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

Harry

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

nothing for the Harry dude?

Thanks guys!

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2007, 11:03 PM   #3
ZJMAN
1998 ZJ 

Pull the oil pressure sensor. They are famous for erratic readings. Check the pressure at idle, 1000 RPM, 2500 RPM and 3000 RPM cold and hot. General rule is a minimum 10 Lbs. for every 1000 RPM. If presure is ok, replace the sensor. If it's low, it's pump time. I bet that it's the sensor.
ZJMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

Probably the sensor...

Plus, it's cheaper and quicker to replace than the pump. IF it doesn't change anything, you have a new sensor for the pump you may be buying now.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L/AW4, Yakima Roof Rack
Vestjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.