Oil pump . - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil pump .

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 07-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #16
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Below is what your oil pressure sending unit looks like but this price may be a little high. It's best to take your old one in to match it up because they come in different lengths and can sell you the wrong one.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...bwd_19970187-p

Can't imagine your oil pressure actually dropping to zero or your engine would be making a bunch of racket and may come apart. You could probably remove your valve cover cap while running and see if it's spitting oil/flowing.

I'd be replacing your sending unit first since dropping the pan to replace the oil pump is a pain. Also agree on putting a new rear seal in it and don't buy the cheapest oil pump if you end up doing this. Use only a Mopar or Felpro pan gasket and rear seal. Hopefully you won't have to go this route and good luck!

BTW, with a 4" lift you may not have as much problem as I did in getting the pan out on my 96 4.0. Had to remove the top shock nuts, the sway bar link nuts on the bottom and finally the track bar bolt to get the axle to drop down far enough to get the pan out.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 02:47 AM   #17
Jramos43
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Below is what your oil pressure sending unit looks like but this price may be a little high. It's best to take your old one in to match it up because they come in different lengths and can sell you the wrong one.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...bwd_19970187-p

Can't imagine your oil pressure actually dropping to zero or your engine would be making a bunch of racket and may come apart. You could probably remove your valve cover cap while running and see if it's spitting oil/flowing.

I'd be replacing your sending unit first since dropping the pan to replace the oil pump is a pain. Also agree on putting a new rear seal in it and don't buy the cheapest oil pump if you end up doing this. Use only a Mopar or Felpro pan gasket and rear seal. Hopefully you won't have to go this route and good luck!

BTW, with a 4" lift you may not have as much problem as I did in getting the pan out on my 96 4.0. Had to remove the top shock nuts, the sway bar link nuts on the bottom and finally the track bar bolt to get the axle to drop down far enough to get the pan out.

The gauge marks 0 and my engine runs smooth and perfect. I actually drove it for bit and it didnt have any clunky noises nor was the engine.failing
Unread 07-13-2013, 02:56 AM   #18
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jramos43 View Post
The gauge marks 0 and my engine runs smooth and perfect. I actually drove it for bit and it didnt have any clunky noises nor was the engine.failing
Well I'd just replace the sending unit and you'll probably fix the problem. I normally put some teflon tape on the threads so it doesn't leak and you don't need to torque it a whole lot or it will break.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #19
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

No way its the oil pump then. its either the gauge or the sending unit. But as said Above my moneys on the sending unit. Its a tight fit and requires a special deep well socket. But its a 5 min job. I screwed mine in with the socket hand tight. I believe it comes with the tape on it now. depending which one you buy. Don't bend it when removing or installing. Put the socket straight on and remove/Install or you will break it off in the threads. Its delicate. When you have low oil pressure. Its starves the engine for oil. It starts with a chattering in the top end. Then knocking then the wonderful squeal of the camshaft. If it doesn't go before then.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #20
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i'm betting your valve seals are gone and your motors ****ed.

but then again i'm a pessimist....... who has had the EXACT same symptoms you are describing. check your oil level lately? does it burn blue? might wanna check those as well.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #21
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Wouldn't there be a lot of smoke?
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #22
Jramos43
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
i'm betting your valve seals are gone and your motors ****ed.

but then again i'm a pessimist....... who has had the EXACT same symptoms you are describing. check your oil level lately? does it burn blue? might wanna check those as well.
No my engine isn't ****ed it still turns on.and drives , so i don't think so
Unread 07-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #23
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
People keep telling me that the sending unit and the oil pump are the same thing, whats the difference ?
those people are what we refer to as idiots. dont listen to them
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #24
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

I wish I could change my oil pump w/o dropping the pan. Just unscrew it from behind the intake manifold. Whoever is telling you this is clearly retarded or attempting to rip you off. Here it is http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...966605_0_8450_ Heres a pic of it Lol I just realized some one already did this.
4.jpg

Unread 07-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #25
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

If it was your oil pump your engine would already be toast if you've been running it and driving it like you say. I don't think its your valve seals or there would be a lot of smoke. Burning oil. Im pretty sure you need to go to that parts store and pick up the part and socket and replace it. Easier than getting gas. Well unless its full service.
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #26
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

You can show these pics to those people ask if they can see the difference. oil pump and sending unit/switch
41.jpg

4.jpg

Unread 07-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #27
Jramos43
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinyj95 View Post
I wish I could change my oil pump w/o dropping the pan. Just unscrew it from behind the intake manifold. Whoever is telling you this is clearly retarded or attempting to rip you off. Here it is http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...966605_0_8450_ Heres a pic of it Lol I just realized some one already did this.
I already swapped it out, turns out that was the problem haha thanks
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #28
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

No problem glad we could save you the trouble of having to replace the oil pump.
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #29
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No my engine isn't ****ed it still turns on.and drives , so i don't think so
Mine ran fine too

Glad you found yiur issue and it wasnt to bad
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.