Oil Pressure Warning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil Pressure Warning

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-16-2003, 07:58 AM   #1
lambar
1996 ZJ 

Oil Pressure Warning

96 GC V8 Limited. I was driving in stop and go traffic the other day, outside temprature was around 80 so I set my climate control to around 68. My "Check Gauges" light came on when I was at a stop sign. I looked and saw my oil pressure drop to zero. When I pressed on the gass pedal it went up to 20, and hovered around there. Normally I have seen it at 40.

It hasn't happend to me again, but have never seen that before. I am going to change the oil, and filter tonight, but aside from that, has anybody seen this happen?

lambar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2003, 09:56 AM   #2
Kess

ur not leaking oil are you?? cuz if ur not then you just prolly have a sensor going bad....

Retired:1994 JGC Laredo I6 4.0L, Smittybilt Outland brush guard, 1 3/4" Daystar coil spacers, custom air intake with tube K&N, Borla cat-back, KC Daylighters 6" 150w stainless steel, Xenon superwhite headlights 85/100w, 235/75/15 Pirelli Scorpian A/T, billit aluminum grill inserts
Kess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2003, 11:48 AM   #3
lambar
1996 ZJ 

Not that I know of. I placed a piece of cardboard under the engine, and after a couple hours, I did not see any spots.
Unread 04-16-2003, 07:37 PM   #4
Ryan2son

Ummmm.... Have you checked your oil level? It's not a smart thing to drive with no/little oil pressure...

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
4x4, 4.7 V8, Quadratrac II, Loaded

A Hail the Mighty Philadelphia Eagles!
Ryan2son is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2003, 06:18 AM   #5
lambar
1996 ZJ 

I just replaced the oil and filer last night, so the levels are ok. The problem hasn't occured again, so we will see. Taking a trip tomorrow (about 500 miles), so wish me luck.
Unread 04-17-2003, 08:52 AM   #6
anthonyh75

OUCH I had a 96 GC. I had the same problem and it kept getting worse. Look into the valve cover where you add oil. You may see some sludge. If so your oil pump is getting cloged. I had changed my oil Countless times and never did solve the prob. I would be driving down the road and the pres. would just drop to zero. I changed the pump twice the sending unit once and ran a addition pres. gauge from the sending unit. I tired every engine flush and additive I could find and nothing worked. The Jeep ran for another year and actually was totaled. For some reason the 318 runs hot and if you dont use quality oil it can burn and sludge up. I used to have to shift into N running down the Highway and actually turn the engine off wait about 15 sec. and the restart the engine and then shift back into D to avoid the engine locking up from loss of oil. I would Def. try and flush the the motor as soon as possible hopefully you can catch it before it gets too bad.
Unread 04-21-2003, 09:14 AM   #7
lambar
1996 ZJ 

Well I drove it to Chicago and back without any issues. I am a happy Jeep owner Thanks for the info Anthony. I will look into it.
Unread 04-21-2003, 09:25 AM   #8
anthonyh75

No prob. Hopefully yours was just the sending unit but I havnt seen where that is a problem. Good luck with it.
Unread 04-21-2003, 09:41 AM   #9
automan25

I've never had my oil pressure drop to zero, but it does seem to fluctuate a great deal. The needle on the gauge seems to move around a lot; more than is common for other vehicles I've owned. It usually reads between 40 & 60 on the street, and 60 & 80 on the freeway. It has dropped as low as 25 before. Is a rapidly fluctuating oil pressure guage needle common on the 5.2?
Unread 05-10-2003, 08:08 PM   #10
boing

Good question I would also like to know if the fluctuating oil pressure gauge is normal for the 318.

KMD
boing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.