Oil pressure goes to zero - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Oil pressure goes to zero

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 01-11-2003, 11:56 PM   #1
buzzbomb

Oil pressure goes to zero

I have a '96 GC with a 4.0 and 90K miles. It normally shows 40 PSI oil pressure on the guage at speed, and about 20 at idle. However, when it has been run for a long time at highway speeds, or if I tow my boat more than 10 miles or so, when I slow to idle, the pressure drops to zero, the light comes on, and the chime goes off telling me to check guages. It doesn't burn oil, and only does this after long drives or towing the boat. Do I really have oil pressure problems, or could it be the sending unit? I run 10w-30, if that matters, and STP oil treatment doesn't help. TIA

buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2003, 10:40 AM   #2
GrandZJ

Mine started to do the same thing and then would only read zero. It was the sender.

Shawn
GrandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2003, 11:26 AM   #3
buzzbomb

boy i hope you are right., where did you get the new one?
Unread 01-12-2003, 12:25 PM   #4
GrandZJ

I got it at Autozone, about $20 I think. It was last spring. I have 147,000 miles on it now with no sign of ware at this point. Oil pressure is still 60 at startup and about 30 when hot at idle and doesnt burn any. I have had to replace all external gaskets thou, and timing chain. But thats it.
Unread 01-12-2003, 12:31 PM   #5
buzzbomb

I bought one at autozone a few months ago, and hooked it up, but it must've been the wrong one. Showed no oil pressure at all, tried another and the same thing. Sometimes I don't know about those guys.
Unread 01-12-2003, 02:39 PM   #6
GrandZJ

it could be the guage itself then. You can always hook up an aftermarket guage and just check and see what that reads. If it's the same then it's the pump or bearings. If not then its the guage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.